Thread: Small dev box help

Beans

Small dev box help

Hi,

Long story short, I need a dev setup which is external to the box I work on at home. I.e. I need to build some form of PC capable of running basic dev tools / scm.

Given its very basic needs, was thinking of finding a fanless, probably atom based, micro-itx solution. I.e. small, silent, can just sit somewhere all day with a nightly backup to a NAS. (it would be really cool then as well because I can throw it in a bag and take it places when I need to -- its wrong I get excited about that...).

Just wandering if anyone has done anything similar? Slightly worried about the performance but I think it should be good enough...

Was thinking something like the Shuttle XS35GT:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHUTTLE-XS35.../dp/B0042DT89U

but have a gut feeling I could build something better for 2/3's the price.

Friend suggested buying a simple netbook as its probably one of the cheaper ways to getting an atom powered system, and has a screen for setup.

All it needs to run is a web server, SVN/GIT, Trac, maven, hudson and artifactory. I.e. it does not need to be capable of streaming video content etc (i.e. its not a media box) for 1 user at a time. Projects are not going to be the smallest for home projects, but really in the grand scheme of things its going to be small.

Thanks for any help,
    Jon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Small dev box help

How about something like a Mini ITX? Now I'm not trying to make any commercial for them, but you can look in that direction: a "Media computer" case, a Micro ATX mobo, a 2,5" HDD, integrated graphics ...

That would result in a small and quiet computer, running anything you would want.
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans

Thanks, yeah the shuttle was a mini itx, looking at it I thought I could get something for either cheaper or better for the same price. Couldnt resist so I have an Intel Atom D525 mobo, 30B SSD and 4Gb of ram on the way . Seems quite powerful, and no fans or moving parts so should be silent and hopefully work nicely fingers crossed.

Thanks,
    Jon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Try it without fans, but if the temperature goes above 40 degree Celsius, then consider a small fan inside. The kind, that used to be on top of 386 processors 5v, 4*4cm, totally silent...
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!