Thread: Rsync, .sh and Crontab

Beans

Rsync, .sh and Crontab

Hey,

I'm currently trying to have crontab to automatically backup files from ramdisk. It works perfectly when I run it myself by simply cd:ing to scripts directory and type ./save_world.sh.

The problem is, that crontab DOES (at least it looks like it) run that command every one minute. /var/log/syslog does show it executing that line every one minute without any errors.
    I'm currently very confused what I did wrong here. I have tried rebooting, fiddling with crontab line, tried sudo crontab -e but nothing seems to work.

My script is called save_world.sh and it is located in /home/phoe/minecraft/rpg/
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

VOLATILE="/home/$USER/minecraft/rpg/world/"
    PERMANENT="/home/$USER/minecraft/rpg/world_storage/"

rsync -r -t -v "$VOLATILE" "$PERMANENT"
    My crontab -e has one line and it is following:
    Code:
    * * * * * /home/phoe/minecraft/rpg/save_world.sh &> /dev/null
    I haven't determined any specific time yet, because I'm just trying to get it work first.

Snippet from /var/log/syslog:
    Code:
    Feb 14 14:10:01 serv CRON[2276]: (phoe) CMD (/home/phoe/minecraft/rpg/save_world.sh &> /dev/null)
    Feb 14 14:11:01 serv CRON[2283]: (phoe) CMD (/home/phoe/minecraft/rpg/save_world.sh &> /dev/null)
    Feb 14 14:12:01 serv CRON[2324]: (phoe) CMD (/home/phoe/minecraft/rpg/save_world.sh &> /dev/null)
    Feb 14 14:13:01 serv CRON[2331]: (phoe) CMD (/home/phoe/minecraft/rpg/save_world.sh &> /dev/null)
    Feb 14 14:14:01 serv CRON[2338]: (phoe) CMD (/home/phoe/minecraft/rpg/save_world.sh &> /dev/null)
    Feb 14 14:15:01 serv CRON[2358]: (phoe) CMD (/home/phoe/minecraft/rpg/save_world.sh &> /dev/null)
    I would be eternally grateful if someone figures it out .

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Rsync, .sh and Crontab

Quote Originally Posted by phoe View Post
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

VOLATILE="/home/$USER/minecraft/rpg/world/"
    PERMANENT="/home/$USER/minecraft/rpg/world_storage/"

rsync -r -t -v "$VOLATILE" "$PERMANENT"
    I don't think $USER will work here, try using the actual user name instead... or $LOGNAME.

H
    Last edited by anglican; February 14th, 2011 at 02:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

You could try changing
    * * * * * /home/phoe/minecraft/rpg/save_world.sh &> /dev/null
    to which would give you some error logging info.
    * * * * * /home/phoe/minecraft/rpg/save_world.sh 2>> /home/phoe/error.txt
    Sony Vaio VGN-NS11J Laptop 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz, 3 GB RAM, 320GB HD. My Linux Blog and My Folding@Home Stats

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anglican View Post
    I don't think $USER will work here, try using the actual user name instead... or $LOGNAME.

H
    Oh my god, I can't believe it was that simple. Two days of crontab ******* me off, the real a**hole was my own script. I thought that because it runs fine manually, it must work with cron too, so I didn't even seek my problem from my script..

Thank you a lot man, you don't know how happy I'm right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by phoe View Post
    Oh my god, I can't believe it was that simple. Two days of crontab ******* me off, the real a**hole was my own script. I thought that because it runs fine manually, it must work with cron too, so I didn't even seek my problem from my script..

Thank you a lot man, you don't know how happy I'm right now.
    One of the main causes of problems with cron is the limited environment you get. Try running the following as a cron script and you'll see what I mean:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    printenv > /home/$LOGNAME/printenv.txt
    H