Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OCZ Vertex 2 SSD unrecognized by Ubuntu - faulty drive?

Beans

OCZ Vertex 2 SSD unrecognized by Ubuntu - faulty drive?

I just bought a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, which shows up fine in my BIOS. I tried installing Ubuntu to it earlier, but it failed/I aborted part way through. Now it still shows in the BIOS, but the 64-bit Maverick LiveCD I'm using doesn't recognize it.

I'm suspecting it might be faulty hardware, but I don't feel confident enough to make this diagnosis myself. Here's a whole bunch of diagnostic info that may be helpful.

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk /dev/sda

Unable to read /dev/sda
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ dmesg | grep sda
    [    3.220567] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] 117231408 512-byte logical blocks: (60.0 GB/55.8 GiB)
    [    3.220594] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
    [    3.220596] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
    [    3.220607] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
    [    3.220691]  sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 >
    [    3.221664] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
    [   10.037351] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    [  208.641027] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 116547528
    [  208.641283] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] READ CAPACITY(16) failed
    [  208.641296] Adding 2438140k swap on /dev/sda5.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:2438140k SS
    [  208.641304] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
    [  208.641314] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Sense not available.
    [  208.641367] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] READ CAPACITY failed
    [  208.641371] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
    [  208.641378] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Sense not available.
    [  208.641449] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Asking for cache data failed
    [  208.641456] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [  208.641468] sda: detected capacity change from 60022480896 to 0
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo sg_format /dev/sda
    inquiry: transport: Host_status=0x04 [DID_BAD_TARGET]
    Driver_status=0x00 [DRIVER_OK, SUGGEST_OK]

/dev/sda doesn't respond to a SCSI INQUIRY
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    I enabled SMART for the device in the BIOS and tried to use smartctl.

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo smartctl -t short /dev/sda
    smartctl 5.40 2010-03-16 r3077 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Short Background Self Test has begun
    Use smartctl -X to abort test
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo smartctl --all /dev/sda -T permissive
    smartctl 5.40 2010-03-16 r3077 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Device: /2:0:0:0  Version: 
    scsiModePageOffset: response length too short, resp_len=47 offset=50 bd_len=46
    >> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page
    Log Sense failed, IE page [scsi response fails sanity test]

Error Counter logging not supported
    scsiModePageOffset: response length too short, resp_len=47 offset=50 bd_len=46
    Device does not support Self Test logging
    Any suggestions? Is there a way I can wipe the drive clean or otherwise make it functional? Should I take it back?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: OCZ Vertex 2 SSD unrecognized by Ubuntu - faulty drive?

If it is easy to take back I would do it. Ubuntu 10.10 should have no issues with an OCZ SSD, though I know some few have had.

You should be able to install to the drive and it should be seen by the LiveCD.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi,

I encountered the same problem as you. Recognized in BIOS, found in gparted and that's it. In my case it appears to be an incompatible BIOS (simply too old) and I am trying the get a newer one from the community.

What BIOS / MoBo do you have and how old is it? It may shed some light on the subject.

HTH

Greetz,
    J@n
    Main desktop: Mint 12-AMD Phenom II X4 975-16GB- 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD + 2 TB + 1,5 TB (DIY)
    Storage: Synology CS-406-4x500 GB, DS-211-2x2TB
    Ubuntu user 33387

Beans

You might try starting over by "dd'ing" the boot record and partition table

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1
    where "X" is the correct ID of your device.

Then set the BIOS SATA mode to "IDE" or "compatible" or "legacy" or whatever is not AHCI mode.

Then with GParted do "Device > New Partition Table", chooe "MS-DOS" type, and proceed with partitioning. Then try installing Ubuntu again.

If it works, then you should be able to go into BIOS and change the SATA mode back to AHCI and get the faster performance. Although, note this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1687311
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans

Thanks for the replies!

J@n: I bought the board new at the same time as the OCZ drive a few days ago. It's an Asus ASRock N68C-S UCC. Is it worth checking the BIOS?

dabl: Ubuntu doesn't seem to see the partition at all, so I can't write to it.

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    dd: writing `/dev/sda': No space left on device
    1+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.000944044 s, 0.0 kB/s
    I'll try making a bootable USB stick for 11.04 to see if that kernel has better luck, but the issue in the other thread seems unrelated to mine. (When I reboot I can check my specific BIOS version too...)

Any other thoughts?

Beans
    Distro

Hi macho,

You might want to take a look at www.ocztechnologyforum.com and search the section Sandforce if there are any known issues with your board.

It is a good idea to check if your board has the latest BIOS. And if you can't get the SSD to work then a BIOS update (if available) is justified.

And if you are a real Dare Devil you might want to browse around www.bios-mods.com to see if somebody has already "modified" your BIOS (use at own risk and only as a last resort! Note that you will void your warranty)

Greetz,

J@n
    Main desktop: Mint 12-AMD Phenom II X4 975-16GB- 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD + 2 TB + 1,5 TB (DIY)
    Ubuntu user 33387

Beans

I have an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB and it works great with Ubuntu. I would contact where you bought it and tell them it was DOA. If they tell you tough luck contact OCZ from what I understand they are good with just exchanging them.

-Check your bios settings and look for ACPI. Try enabling it if you can find it. Some motherboards automatically set this, others don't.
    Chase

Beans

Thanks everyone, for all the continuing advice. Unfortunately, I don't feel much closer.

The device is still only intermittently showing up. I was able to run mkfs.ext4 on it, but then as soon as I finished I was getting "No such device" for sdd. I physically moved the SSD over from sda, where it was earlier, in case you're wondering why it's sdd now.

I updated my BIOS to v1.40, which seems to be the newest version on the ASRock site. On the BIOS screen it identifies as AMI v02.67C, same as before (see attached photos). I took the drive back to the store, and they messed around and said they couldn't find a problem with it.

I tried setting ACPI: no effect either, unless maybe I'm setting it wrong. From the attached screenshot: I changed 'ACPI HPET Table' to 'Enabled', is there anything else I need to do?

I have a hunch it's the AHCI stuff, but I can't find anywhere to set that in the BIOS. Any idea how I might do it? From the attached screenshot you can see the options I have for each SATA device is between 'IDE' and 'RAID', and I've so far just kept it at IDE.

Any other ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Hi Macho,

Your BIOS is setup correctly to work with the SSD (IDE mode for SATA controller). It seems AHCI is not working well with the Vertex 2.

I'll tell you how I faired with my SSD:

My mother board was indeed too old (nVidia chipset MCP61). So I bought myself a new one. This time I got an ASUS M4A78-EM with AMD chipsets. Connected the SSD on the first SATA port and the other disks on SATA 2 and 3. Tried to install but no luck (boy that makes you feel unlucky)

Disconnected all drives and created a fresh Live CD. No luck. It crashed during install. Created a bootable disk with the Alternate version. Same result.

I created a bootable USB disk (pen drive) with UnetBootIn and tried again. This time I got a complete and succesfull install. Reconnected the other drives and now all is working perfectly.

You might want to try this approach (skip to the last step though)

HTH

Greetz,

J@n
    Ubuntu user 33387

I'm having similar problems with a 120 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. I'm using Asus M2N68AM-Plus MB with latest BIOS. OCZ shows up in BIOS but Maverick 64 bit alternate install doesn't see it at all. Lucid 64 bit alternate sees it but crashes after partitioning during file copy.

I moved the OCZ to an external USB adapter. In this case Maverick install finds it and actually completes. Unfortunately it crashes on boot whether the drive is hooked to the external USB adapter or the internal SATA.

If just try to use the drive as a secondary disk under Maverick it works fine. I put it in a WinXP box and formatted it NTFS and ran ATTO tests and it also works there as well.

OCZ tech support hasn't given me any clues yet. If you guys have an ideas let me know. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast