Thread: NY State Ubuntu Hour Thoughts

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

NY State Ubuntu Hour Thoughts

Hello all:

I would like to encourage my fellow NY State Ubuntu users to hold Ubuntu hours. I would like to offer the following suggestions:

• Find a public place that has Internet access and will allow you to occupy a table for an hour; bookstores, coffee shops and libraries might be a good fit.
    • Make a 8x11 'poster' that has the Ubuntu logo and the wiki address for the NY State Loco. If you have a local LUG include their website as well
    • Read about other Ubuntu Hours - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hour
    • Have fun and be friendly

I will be putting together an Ubuntu hour in my area and will post pictures when it happens. If you are going to host an Ubuntu hour please add it to the loco event calendar - http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-newyork - if you do not have access please email me the details.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: NY State Ubuntu Hour Thoughts

I'd be interesting in helping to host one, but as I am new to Ubuntu, I do not feel I have the knowledge base to take the lead. I live in New York and work at a bookstore that has an internet cafe with free wifi, so hosting it there would be no problem. If anyone is interested in starting an NYC Ubuntu Hour with me, let me know. Or if anyone else is already planning to host one and would like help, let me know if there's anything I could do to help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zhogan85 View Post
    I'd be interesting in helping to host one, but as I am new to Ubuntu, I do not feel I have the knowledge base to take the lead. I live in New York and work at a bookstore that has an internet cafe with free wifi, so hosting it there would be no problem. If anyone is interested in starting an NYC Ubuntu Hour with me, let me know. Or if anyone else is already planning to host one and would like help, let me know if there's anything I could do to help.
    There are two members in the NYC area that may be willing to help.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/jackyalcine

and

https://launchpad.net/~jaricanese7

Keep in mind though that to organize one and start holding the events you do not have to be an expert. You just have to enjoy using Ubuntu.

If you are looking for more folks you can also use the mailing list: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-ny

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What exactly do we do at an Ubuntu Hour? I read the wiki page but still unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by zhogan85 View Post
    Once I fully understand what these Ubuntu Hours entail, I would definitely like to get together to have one in New York City.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been talking to cprofitt, and an ubuntu hour would consist of pretty much anything we wanted. We could work on bugs or testing, or do a presentation of some kind. Basically anything to do with ubuntu that we would like to do. The main thing that its important that we do is to be visible, for instance by having a small ubuntu poster or sign to try and generate curiosity from passerbys. We could also have some live CD's with us to give to anyone interested in trying Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

But if your interested and have any ideas, maybe we could try to arrange one?

Also, in the IRC channel, we've been talking about trying to host an Ubuntu Global Jam somewhere in the city. It would be one event sometime over the first week of april where we would get together and work on bugs together or some other type of contribution to Ubuntu, like documentation or something. If you have any ideas and are interested in this too, I believe there is a thread about it or join the NY Loco IRC, we've been discussing it there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Sounds pretty sweet,
    I am in upstate NY though, anyone in upstate? lol

Ive thought for awhile that something like this should be going on..
    I just don't know anyone else outside my "circle" that uses Ubuntu.
    Wish I did, but I do not. lol

If you guys are close, or know of any Ubuntu Hours in upstate NY (Ithaca/Southern Tier) region, Please do let me know!

<3
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1111 View Post
    Sounds pretty sweet,
    I am in upstate NY though, anyone in upstate? lol

Ive thought for awhile that something like this should be going on..
    I just don't know anyone else outside my "circle" that uses Ubuntu.
    Wish I did, but I do not. lol

If you guys are close, or know of any Ubuntu Hours in upstate NY (Ithaca/Southern Tier) region, Please do let me know!

<3
    A majority of the LoCo is in Western NY. What part of Upstate are you in?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    A majority of the LoCo is in Western NY. What part of Upstate are you in?
    Nice.
    My location varies..
    But I am mostly in/in between, binghamton and Ithaca NY.
    (when Im not aboard the ISS, of course.) lol
    <3
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1111 View Post
    Nice.
    My location varies..
    But I am mostly in/in between, binghamton and Ithaca NY.
    (when Im not aboard the ISS, of course.) lol
    <3
    I will be attending EdTech Day 2011 at Ithaca College on March 24th - I will be manning an Ubuntu booth and giving two presentations. There is also the Ithaca Free Software Foundation too. I think if you want to secure a location in Ithaca you would get some folks to turn out. Let me know if you want some assistance.

Are you in the mailing list? Have you joined the launchpad team? Do you hang in our IRC channel?