Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mupen64+ 1.99.4 GUI frontend (Cutemupen?)

Beans

Mupen64+ 1.99.4 GUI frontend (Cutemupen?)

Anybody know (has used it) of a good GUI frontend to Mupen64Plus v1.99.4? Looking for something that will handle controller config.

Also how does one configure CuteMupen, I have no idea where to point it for all the folders it wants except for the rom folder?
    Stuff like core library file, data directory etc.
    Last edited by mips; May 23rd, 2011 at 02:47 PM.

Beans

Re: Mupen64+ 1.99.4 GUI frontend (Cutemupen?)

Ok, think I figured it out so I'll make a mini guide for 64-bit users, 32-bit should be the same.

First install Mupen64Plus v1.5 from the repos, there is method to this madness!
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mupen64plus

Open Mupen64+, go Options -> Configure --> Plugins Tab --> Select "blight's SDL input plugin" --> Click Config and setup your gamepad/controller --> Apply changes & test that it works in a few games, exit mupen64+

Now we have to backup that config file for the gampad/controller.
    Code:
    cp ~/.config/mupen64plus/blight_input.conf ~/Desktop
    Verify the file is on your desktop and that it contains the settings for you controller.

Now we can uninstall mupen64+,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge mupen64plus
    Check to see that the config files were removed as well, if they are still there you can do,
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.config/mupen64plus
    So why did we just go through this whole exercise? Well currently there is no GUI frontend you can use to setup your gamepad/controller for Mupen64+ v1.99.4. The application itself no longer has a GUI (cli only) and the available frontends out there do not support configuration of the controller as yet so we need a backup copy of our v1.5 config file for later use.

Lets get on to installing mupen64+ v1.99.4

First lets add the developers PPA to our repos,
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sven-eckelmann/ppa-mupen64plus

Next we do an update and install the app,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mupen64plus

Run mupen64+ so it creates a config folder and file,
    Code:
    mupen64plus

Next we install CuteMupen front end, get the 32-bit version if you are using 32-bit OS, check for newer files! http://sourceforge.net/projects/cutemupen/files/
    Code:
    wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/cutemupen/files/0.1.0/cutemupen-linux64-0.1.0.tar.bz2
    tar xvfj cutemupen-linux64-0.1.0.tar.bz2

Add CuteMupen to your menu,
    Right click on Applications toolbar --> Edit Menus --> Games --> New Item
    Type: Application
    Name: CuteMupen
    Cammand: /home/username/cutemupen-linux64-0.1.0/cutemupen

Open CuteMupen, it's going to prompt you for some default files & folder locations.

Core libabrary file: /usr/lib/libmupen64plus.so.2
    Plugins: /usr/lib/mupen64plus (or /home/username/.config/mupen64plus/plugins and copy the contents of /usr/lib/mupen64plus into it which is what I have done.)
    Data: /home/username/.config/mupen64plus/data
    Config: /home/username/.config/mupen64plus
    ROMs: Wherever you have your ROM files stored.
    If the folders don't exist create them.

Quit and restart CuteMupen. You can now setup your plugins and their setting to suite your needs.

If your controller/gamepad does not work out of the box you will have to edit your /usr/share/mupen64plus/InputAutoCfg.ini file with information from the ~/Destop/blight_input.conf file we backed up earlier.

Here are some examples that show how,
    http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=49731
    http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus...ontrollerSetup

This post was compiled with info taken from:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/scree...21&ssid=124559
    http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113
    http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/w/list
    Last edited by mips; May 23rd, 2011 at 03:02 PM.

Beans

Just some feedback, this has worked out really well, I've been playing N64 games for the last two days now

Wish they sold the N64 here back in the day. I find the games better than most PSX games.

This is really fun, who says gaming on linux is boring!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Cheers for posting.

Edit: Are you able to edit the Glide64 video settings in CuteMupen? I can edit all but that one. A message pops up stating "Couldn't find parameters in Video-Glide64 section."

Edit 2: Never mind, sorted it now. Glide64 options weren't in the mupen64plus.cfg file, so I used the "mupen64plus --saveoptions" command to fill it with more options and then did it again after changing the default video plugin to Glide64, which then added Glide64 options to the config file. Nice.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; March 10th, 2011 at 03:44 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-freak View Post
    Cheers for posting.

Edit: Are you able to edit the Glide64 video settings in CuteMupen? I can edit all but that one. A message pops up stating "Couldn't find parameters in Video-Glide64 section."

Edit 2: Never mind, sorted it now. Glide64 options weren't in the mupen64plus.cfg file, so I used the "mupen64plus --saveoptions" command to fill it with more options and then did it again after changing the default video plugin to Glide64, which then added Glide64 options to the config file. Nice.
    Hi,

Could you please give a more detailed description of what you have done, ie full commands you executed.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Hi,

Could you please give a more detailed description of what you have done, ie full commands you executed.

Thanks
    Well, at first I just executed the command:

mupen64plus --saveoptions ~/Games/Hexen.n64

The config file is quite empty for some reason by default, plus a game has to be started with the "--saveoptions" command for Mupen64+ to send all the options available to the config file.

However, because the video plugin was set as Rice, no Glide64 options were sent to the config file, so I still couldn't edit them in CuteMupen. I went into the config file and changed the video plugin to "mupen64plus-video-glide64.so" and saved the file. I executed the "--saveoptions" command again and Mupen finally sent the Glide64 options to the config file.

If anyone finds the Rice plugin to be slow, try setting the "ScreenUpdateSetting" to 7 instead of 1. It speeds up Rice but didn't really cause any problems in the game I tested.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; March 11th, 2011 at 02:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Might as well post what I've discovered here, in case it helps anyone.

First of all, if your audio is choppy and slow, don't waste time adjusting the primary audio buffers, cos' it won't help. However, changing the secondary buffer to 512 DID help with my sound issues somewhat. Adjusting the video options and using Glide64 was the most helpful though.

Here's the best Glide64 options I came up with:

[Video-Glide64]

# Card ID
    card_id = 0
    # Use custom INI settings
    custom_ini = True
    # Vertical sync
    vsync = True
    # FPS counter
    show_fps = True
    # Detect CPU writes
    detect_cpu_write = False
    # Buffer clear on every frame
    buff_clear = False
    # Framebuffer read every frame
    fb_read_always = False
    # Framebuffer read alpha
    fb_read_alpha = False
    # Smart framebuffer
    fb_smart = False
    # Get framebuffer info
    fb_get_info = False
    # Depth buffer render
    fb_render = False
    # Use framebuffer objects
    fbo = False

Setting anything currently "False" to "True" (after setting "custom_ini" to "False") will override the custom Glide.ini options for supported games, which is useful for troubleshooting when you have a problematic one. I've left the eye-candy options out cos' I think they're unnecessary, as Glide64 makes smart default choices for those. The options above may help if the custom ones aren't quite right. "fbo = True" may help with some games and "fb_read_always" may help with others, but only if your GPU is powerful. It's pretty pointless and slow for me. It's a good idea for "fb_get_info" to be enabled if you disable the custom option too.

Glide64 was the fastest plugin for me, the others were slow and lacked game compatibility.

Hope this info will be useful to someone.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; March 14th, 2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Tidy up and more info.

Beans

Might as well post what I've discovered here, in case it helps anyone.
    Thanks, definitely. Would encourage others to do the same so we can improve the Mupen64+ experience.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Thanks, definitely. Would encourage others to do the same so we can improve the Mupen64+ experience.
    Updated it a bit. Forgot to mention that changing the secondary audio buffer to 512 from the default 2048 did actually help improve the sound.

Beans

Updated it a bit. Forgot to mention that changing the secondary audio buffer to 512 from the default 2048 did actually help improve the sound.
    Are your sound problems of a general nature or for specific games?
    I have not experienced sound issues yet but then again I've only really been playing Rayman 2.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast