Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Satellite fan issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Toshiba Satellite fan issue

Lots of binaries come with a config file dependency that isn't automatically created by the installer but instead a 'template' of the file can be found either in it's documentation or it's binaries directories.

Have a squiz at 'man fancontrol' (pop it into terminal) and perhaps http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42737 can help even though it is pretty old - Google returned it as the most relevant result to http://www.google.com/search?q=howto...trol+in+ubuntu when I tried it here.
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans

Oh, hey, I've seen that link before - but I never got down to where it mentioned the bug in pwmconfig. It sounds rather familiar! I'll work on it.

EDIT: The bug it talks about? I can't find that line it mentions at all. This only applied to "Hoary" and I'm running the latest version. So I seem to not have made any progress at all.
    Last edited by DarkLoad; February 13th, 2011 at 03:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, that stuff is old and I much more linked to it regarding deriving a configuration for fancontrol - not so much regarding whatever else is discussed in that thread.

Please read the first post in that thread more carefully, look at what is being said and be aware that if it says stuff like
    Quote Originally Posted by remmelt View Post

Patching pwmconfig This is no longer needed if you run Dapper! Go to the next step unless you're running Hoary.

Then it is old news and Lucid and later releases are not likely to be suffering what Hoary was if they fixed it by the time of the Dapper release.

From http://www.google.com/search?q=fanco...owto+for+Lucid the impression could be gained, from a couple of threads and posts, that fancontrol just won't work in Lucid (therefore probably not in later releases either) and a suggestion I derive from one thread is to search Synaptic Package Manager for 'toshiba fan control' - two entries in my list when I do it, maybe one or both of those can help you?
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans

There are three packages related to Toshiba hardware in Synaptic.

Toshset currently seems the most promising, but when I try to run it, it gives me "required kernel toshiba support not enabled." How do I enable it?

EDIT: Sorry I'm being so vague and just moving so quickly to reply before considering what I need to say. /usr/share/doc/toshset/README.Debian says:

In /usr/share/doc/toshset/toshiba-acpi you can find the experimental version of
    the toshiba_acpi kernel module. You can run 'sh install.sh' for compiling and
    install the module. (Ubuntu users don't need it)

I don't believe that last line for a minute, though.
    Last edited by DarkLoad; February 13th, 2011 at 04:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro

What an endless series of traps and run offs!

Have you checked if there is an update for your BIOS from Toshiba? Some clues in results to searches I have tried suggest it helps a great deal if your BIOS is the latest for your machine.

What do you get back from terminal if you try the following commands (supposed to supply 'required kernel toshiba support' but mixed reactions in search results so...)
    Code:
    sudo modprobe toshiba_acpi
    sudo modprobe toshiba
    If nothing seems wrong about the terminal's response to those commands then it's worth trying toshset again - I'm not positive but I don't think this requires a restart...

The results of http://www.google.com/search?q=how+t...port+in+ubuntu don't look super encouraging as far as the first one goes, have a squiz: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=737397

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLoad View Post

EDIT: Sorry I'm being so vague and just moving so quickly to reply before considering what I need to say. /usr/share/doc/toshset/README.Debian says:

In /usr/share/doc/toshset/toshiba-acpi you can find the experimental version of
    the toshiba_acpi kernel module. You can run 'sh install.sh' for compiling and
    install the module. (Ubuntu users don't need it)

I don't believe that last line for a minute, though.
    Sorry I didn't refresh the page before posting before.

If modprobe for toshiba-acpi doesn't work with 'no such' type error then try
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/doc/toshiba-acpi
    sh install.sh
    If it bombs talking about permissions then try
    Code:
    sudo ./install.sh
    straight-away, if that bombs maybe I can help with the response from terminal (error message details).

Beans

Howdy,

I have a similar Toshiba laptop.

There is no proper software solution. You can add the kernel parameter: acpi="Linux" to the kernel boot string in /boot/grub/menu.lst, then the fan will sometimes work.

The best hardware solution is to rewire the fan so that it always runs at medium speed. Doing so is very difficult. You either need to totally disassemble the laptop, or use a Dremel to cut an opening in the bottom of the case in order to get to the fan. Another solution is to buy a large 'laptop cooling tray' and put the machine on top of that, but the airflow through the machine will likely still be inadequate.

The best solution is to sell the Toshiba laptop on Ebay and buy a Lenovo laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 and found that appending this to the boot options makes the fan work better

Code:
    acpi_os=!Windows 2006
    Which I think is suppose to make the BIOS think your using Windows. I also got one of those cooling dock things and I haven't had any problems since.
    Happily running 13.04! "It's only an apt-get away!"

Beans

Code:
    /usr/share/doc/toshset/toshiba-acpi$ sh install.sh
    sh: Can't open install.sh
    Code:
    /usr/share/doc/toshset/toshiba-acpi$ sudo ./install.sh
    sudo: ./install.sh: command not found
    As a side note:
    Code:
    ls /usr/share/doc/toshset/toshiba-acpi
    2.6.26  2.6.28
    @RJ12: What file is that that I should add that to to try it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLoad View Post
    Code:
    /usr/share/doc/toshset/toshiba-acpi$ sh install.sh
    sh: Can't open install.sh
    Code:
    /usr/share/doc/toshset/toshiba-acpi$ sudo ./install.sh
    sudo: ./install.sh: command not found
    As a side note:
    Code:
    ls /usr/share/doc/toshset/toshiba-acpi
    2.6.26  2.6.28
    @RJ12: What file is that that I should add that to to try it?
    in /etc/default/grub change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_os=!Windows 2006"
    Happily running 13.04! "It's only an apt-get away!"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast