Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome Panel gone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Gnome Panel gone

I just installed Cairo-Dock for Ubuntu 10.10 (and more recently uninstalled it) and as I was looking in the settings I hit "Jump To" on the how to replace the gnome bar with cairo dock section assuming it would take me to a website, but it put cairo dock in as the new replacement for the Gnome Panel. I have searched the internet and tried a few thing but nothing has worked. My Gnome Panel will not launch at startup period. I have brought it up in the terminal but once I close the terminal, poof it is gone. Please help, I'm getting desperate here.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention I want to restore my Gnome Panel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Gnome Panel gone

Reset panels to default
    Code:
    gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel && killall gnome-panel
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

I've done that one, when I type in 'killall gnome-panel' it just tells me no 'gnome-panel' process has been found.

Beans
    Distro

Did you uninstall the panel or delete it ? You could attempt to reinstall gnome-panel from the synaptic package manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

try to use killall -e gnome-panel option. learnt that after i understood the killall command. it should work. else try to issue 'top' command and see if gnome-panel process is there...

if i am understanding right, this command will kill the old (corrupted) panel. in ur case u dont have a panel...
    Last edited by rvchari; February 11th, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Ubuntu + Linux = UbunTux !!! Gr8 combo !!!

Beans

Try:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

Beans
    Distro

I tried the 'apt-get' command and it says that it is up to date. Also the fancy kill command yielded the same results, no such item is running according to 'top' either.
    I don't know what that damn program did but I deleted it off my comp fast. Might it work to try 'sudo apt-get remove gnome-panel' then reinstall?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rvchari View Post
    try to use killall -e gnome-panel option. learnt that after i understood the killall command. it should work. else try to issue 'top' command and see if gnome-panel process is there...

if i am understanding right, this command will kill the old (corrupted) panel. in ur case u dont have a panel...
    I did not know if both panels were missing or if only the bottom panel was removed , you are correct the command will restore the panels to default if there are corrupted or missing features.

Beans

Try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge gnome-panel
    Then reinstall.

Beans
    Distro

So I did the reinstall, the issue is that when I start it up (it still doesn't automatically boot which I want to fix) it gives me an error message about having a problem loading the 'fast user switch applet' aka the power on/off options. And the autostart crap too. BTW I do not have a bottom panel so the only reason I can do anything is thanks to the other dock I was trying out 'Docky'.
    EDIT: So I found out that the problem was with gconf-editor, it didn't want to take 'gnome-panel' as the default option on boot, so it just booted nothing. I used Ailurus to fix that issue. But I still can't get the default shutdown/logoff menu back up and running, however, worse things have happened.. like not getting my gnome panel to launch XD, thank you guys very much. This is why I love Ubuntu, even if you really bite your own ***, there thousands of people who did the same exact thing.
    Last edited by SgtMunky; February 11th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast