Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: HP dm1z Ralink 5390 driver problems

Beans

Re: HP dm1z Ralink 5390 driver problems

Sorry, I don't seem to be having any issues like you are having. My wireless connection has been pretty stable. I am not even sure if the type of data being sent over the link will necessarily have an impact on your connection dropping or not.

The only thing I could suggest is that you try these applications when you are right next to your wireless router and see if it's a reception problem. The lower the signal the laptop receives, the slower the data rate that the wifi will transmit at. For data intensive applications, this may cause the connectivity issues you are experiencing.

It's just a shot in the dark though...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adamis View Post
    The instructions listed in the link from earlier posts I found have typos. Below are some corrected instructions that hopefully should get you on your way...

1. Download the file contained at this link: http://barkmunchers.com/dm1z/RT.tar.gz

2. Extract the files to a directory. Then open a console, navigate to the directory that you extracted the files to then run the following commands:

PHP Code:
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo mkdir 
    -/etc/Wireless/RT5390STA
    sudo cp RT5390STA
    .dat /etc/Wireless/RT5390STA/RT5390STA.dat
    sudo cp 
    ./os/linux/rt5390sta.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5390sta.ko 
    Note that for the last command above I used the option <uname -r>. This will copy the files to the current running kernel version. Make sure you are running the kernel that you wish to get the wireless running on...

Now edit /etc/modules to add the line 'rt5390sta' at the end

Then run:

PHP Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    reboot 
    That should get you on your way. Hopefully that I didn't add in any typos myself.

**Edit** fixed the <uname -r> with `uname -r`, Thanks frospeh for catching the error!
    One minor hiccup there bud! there is no need for the sudo make install, its fine without that. make install will just do the rest of the steps but instead do it with rt2860sta.dat. Rest is fine, I got my wifi working thanx to you! and downloading the kde-config-touchpad from synaptic for proper touchpad support!

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am on a dm1z Ralink 539f.

I tried 11.04 with 2.6.38, 39 and 3.0 kernels. Now I am on 10.10 32bits with 2.6.35 kernel,, and still the same problems.

I follow these instructiosn and everyhting seems to work. Then when I turn off my router and turn it on again, it jsut wont connect.

I had the hidden SSID proble, set it to broadcast SSID. I am trying to connect to a WPA2 router with no success at all, although I connected perfectly 10 mins ago.

Beans

The official Linux 3.0 kernel has been released. According to the driver changelog, the RT53xx wireless cards should be enabled by default. However, the DM1z has a type RT5390f version that has not been enabled in the release candidates. I gave up waiting and went back to Maverick with the patches, but can someone check if the stock 3.0 kernel has the wireless drivers enabled by default now?

Beans

Hi to all,

I am still having problems. I have a dm1-3210us, with the 539f card as shown by lspci. I installed Ubuntu amd64 11.04, and the Ralink 2.4.0.4 driver with the openSUSE patches (including the amd64 gcc warning). Everything compiles nicely, but when mounting the rt5390sta module, it complains:

[ 361.038335] rt5390 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    [ 361.038840] <-- RTMPAllocAdapterBlock, Status=0
    [ 361.053800] KH: Use High Memory for Beacon
    [ 361.057618] <-- RTMPAllocTxRxRingMemory, Status=0
    [ 361.061947] ERROR!!! RTMPReadParametersHook failed, Status[=0x00000001]
    [ 361.077736] KH: Use High Memory for Beacon
    [ 361.081492] <-- RTMPAllocTxRxRingMemory, Status=0
    [ 361.092773] ERROR!!! RTMPReadParametersHook failed, Status[=0x00000001]
    I get the wlan0 device, but it does not do anything. Trying iwlist wlan0 scanning does not return any network.

Any help would be appreciated!

Best,
    Juan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by devguy View Post
    The official Linux 3.0 kernel has been released. According to the driver changelog, the RT53xx wireless cards should be enabled by default. However, the DM1z has a type RT5390f version that has not been enabled in the release candidates. I gave up waiting and went back to Maverick with the patches, but can someone check if the stock 3.0 kernel has the wireless drivers enabled by default now?
    Hello, I'm using this card on my HP DM1Z 3130 and I just had to add the correct pciid in the kernel sources. I checked and it is included in 3.0.1, not before.
    This compile a module called rt2800pci which works just fine (and has been since kernel 2.6.39) for me.
    in the file /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800pci.c , find the PCI_DEVICE(0x1814 , 0x5390) line and either duplicate it and change to 539f or change directly without duplicating.
    Then, compile kernel (and activate experimental drivers for 5390 cards), and you're done.
    Last edited by wastedtime-fr; August 12th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.

Beans

Hi all, just wanted to let you know that the latest mainline kernel 3.1 rc3 (search for mainline kernel ppa) has the wireless working right out of the box. Kubuntu 11.10 alpha 3 on the otherhand has issues with it that causes the kdeinit4 to crash on startup. Note that Kubuntu 11.10 alpha 3 actually comes with kernel 3.0.0.9 I think. You would need to download the mainline kernel 3.1 from the mainline kernel ppa (google "mainline kernel ppa" to find it).

What I was finally able to figure out is that if you install the alpha release of Kubuntu 11.10 rc3, install the latest 3.1 mainline kernel, and then go into synaptic and select "Mark all Updates" and let it do it's thing. After all of the updating is done, reboot the system. This time, you shouldn't get a popup crash notification for kdeinit4 when you log in. However, you may get a crash notification in the system tray but you should be able to ignore it.

Now, click on the network manager icon in the system tray. You may get a message along the lines of "We need NetworkManger verision...". Click on the wireless adapter just above the message and it should now show all of the access points available. Click on the one you want, enter your creditionals and you should be good to go.

It is nice to see that progress has been made in getting this open source driver into the kernel. I haven't tested the functionality much but I am writing this post from the connection.

Cheers!

Beans

I just ran Ubuntu 11.10 Beta-1 desktop off a flash drive on my dm1z. It immediately recognized the wireless card and connected to my network as soon as I entered the password. Yippee!
    Last edited by kateiacy; September 3rd, 2011 at 02:17 AM. Reason: typo (fixed "run" to "ran")

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kateiacy View Post
    I just ran Ubuntu 11.10 Beta-1 desktop off a flash drive on my dm1z. It immediately recognized the wireless card and connect to my network as soon as I entered the password. Yippee!
    What kernel kateiacy?
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans

The kernel in 11.10 beta-1 is 3.0.3.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast