Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop is overheating

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Laptop is overheating

How long does the computer stay on before it overheats? (on average)

I would try just updating the BIOS (and no you can't run BIOS updates via wine)

If you can boot into Windows and apply the BIOS upgrade.

If you don't have Windows there are DOS methods and others that are a bit trickier.

How to Flash BIOS

aloya82-- It could possibly be a dust issue. Since it is an older laptop there is a real good chance that there is dust trapped inside. We need to explore all possible problems before we jump to conclusions.
    Last edited by Caboose885; February 9th, 2011 at 08:57 PM.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    How long does the computer stay on before it overheats? (on average)

I would try just updating the BIOS (and no you can't run BIOS updates via wine)

If you can boot into Windows and apply the BIOS upgrade.

If you don't have Windows there are DOS methods and others that are a bit trickier.

How to Flash BIOS

aloya82-- It could possibly be a dust issue. Since it is an older laptop there is a real good chance that there is dust trapped inside. We need to explore all possible problems before we jump to conclusions.
    Yes, That would be my last resort. But the frequency scaling seem to work for me and I am running considerable amount of threads and temp is not hitting beyond 90C which is good. I am not sure how windows handle this because I use windows on the same machine and I never faced a situation like that. But I think if someone can implement fix for generic Linux kernel that would be great....Thanks all for your ideas guys..It is great..

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tmnuwan12 View Post
    Yes, That would be my last resort. But the frequency scaling seem to work for me and I am running considerable amount of threads and temp is not hitting beyond 90C which is good. I am not sure how windows handle this because I use windows on the same machine and I never faced a situation like that. But I think if someone can implement fix for generic Linux kernel that would be great....Thanks all for your ideas guys..It is great..
    Does your fan speed up as the cpu gets hotter? I still think its a pretty straightforward BIOS APCI issue that likely can be solved by booting one of the acpi_osi parameters explained in the link in my signature. Im guessing your cpu fan isnt increasing its speed and thats the real difference with windows.

BTW, 90C isnt good. Its terrible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Does your fan speed up as the cpu gets hotter? I still think its a pretty straightforward BIOS APCI issue that likely can be solved by booting one of the acpi_osi parameters explained in the link in my signature. Im guessing your cpu fan isnt increasing its speed and thats the real difference with windows.

BTW, 90C isnt good. Its terrible.
    Yes, I know 90C is not good but it is ok until I find a permanent solution.
    For your information, the speed of the fan is changing. So I bit stuck to figure out what is causing this peak temperature. Now with frequency being cut down to 800MHz on both cores temp is hovering around 75C.
    I not sure what exactly causing it. I also checked processes running in kernel and there are no heavy weight tasks in the background either...
    Any ideas welcome..
    Thanks in advance....

Beans
    Hidden!

I suppose you didnt click the link I gave you yet.. "acpi_osi=
    This option frequently solves problems with LCD backlight, fan control problems and misreporting of thermal events.
    ". I cant promise it will work, but its possible those reported temps are incorrect and its definitely worth a shot.

Beans

I suppose you didnt click the link I gave you yet.. "acpi_osi=
    This option frequently solves problems with LCD backlight, fan control problems and misreporting of thermal events.
    ". I cant promise it will work, but its possible those reported temps are incorrect and its definitely worth a shot.

Yes I tried that and I think it fixed it. Thanks a lot..It is something wrong with sending wrong information to BIOS..Thanks a lot guys..
    Cheers.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes I tried that and I think it fixed it. Thanks a lot..It is something wrong with sending wrong information to BIOS..Thanks a lot guys..
    Cheers.
    Yay, yet another bios that intentionally malfunctions when it detects you are running Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

Cheers.
    If you still think you fixed it, care to tell us which kernel parameter did the trick, and what the effect is on temps/fan behavior?

Beans

If you still think you fixed it, care to tell us which kernel parameter did the trick, and what the effect is on temps/fan behavior?
    But when I restart it is going back to default settings, I think I need some time to figure out what is actually going on. I will let you guys know as soon as I can..Fingers crossed..

Beans
    Hidden!

Read my link carefully. If you are adding kernel options in grub, it only applies to a single boot. I explain in detail how to make those changes permanent.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast