Thread: hide list view expand/contract icons

Beans

Question hide list view expand/contract icons

hello ubu forums!

in my quest to reduce chrome and padding in Nautilus, I've come across something I can't seem to find on my own. I know there are 3 basic views - icons, list, and compact - and I prefer list; however, on the left of the list view, there is a 20-25px or so (depending on theme of course) of margin/padding/space on the left - reserved for the + or - or arrows indicating a folder can be expanded inline.

I would simply like to remove this space (and the cooresponding +/- icons). I realize this will relinquish my ability to expand folders inline - which is fine with me, I don't use the feature much anyway.

I can probably surmise where the actual icons live, reverse engineering a theme or what have you... but I'm guessing that still won't change that space.

is there any way to get a more "vanilla" list view??

UPDATE: while I don't think specs really matter to this question, here's what I'm running anyway:
    Ubuntu 10.10, 32bit in Gnome (default for that Ubu version) using mostly stock Nautilus besides it being the Elementary build (hidden menubar and such).
    Last edited by CorporalMaxSterling; February 8th, 2011 at 03:58 AM. Reason: including more details about my system

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: hide list view expand/contract icons

I go into View and disable everything but location. You can use your keyboard to do anything like expand folders. Ctrl++
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: hide list view expand/contract icons

@wojox, yeah mine's very similar (no menubar though), but there's still those damn triangle arrows on the left of each folder!

(well, you can't seem 'em in my screenshot b/c there are no folders - but your screenshot has them)
    Attached Images Attached Images