Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to capture VHS tapes to Ubuntu.

Beans

Want to capture VHS tapes to Ubuntu.

Hello everyone,
    I have some VHS tapes that I'd like to digitize, and I need help finding a program that can capture the video to Ubuntu (I'm running 10.04). I have USB capture-box, which connects to the player via composite RCA, then goes to the computer. Can anyone direct me to some Linux software that can help me with this? The video editing programs which I've found in Ubuntu so far don't seem to support real-time capture; it seems like you have to import your digitized file into the program. Thanks in advance.

Deer Hunter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Want to capture VHS tapes to Ubuntu.

Just a guess here but I think if you have video coming in via USB here's a couple of links with programs you might find useful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/musicvi...o-editing.html

http://alicious.com/2008/videomovie-...-ubuntu-linux/

Hope they have what you need
    TEFL certified English Teacher
    Registered GNU/Linux User #491032
    Registered Ubuntu User #27631

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Simplest way is to use cat, cat /dev/video0 > foo.mpeg for example. I've also used vlc for this.

Beans

I tried VLC and it couldn't detect my capture device. Neither could Kino, Pitivi, or DeVeDe. I wonder if that's part of the problem. But the device was seen alright in my XP virtual machine on this computer, so apparently Ubuntu could see it well enough to do that much. Here's a link to the capture device, maybe you can tell if it is the problem: http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

Thanks for the advice so far.

Can you elaborate on "cat," what it is and does? It sounds interesting but I'd like a little more info before I jump in blindly. Thanks.
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; February 8th, 2011 at 07:27 AM.

Beans

Of course, I am also able to make this work just fine in Windows, but that kind defeats the purpose, as I want to be able to do it all in Linux.

Any other ideas anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Have you checked the manufacturer of the device to see if they have some real linux drivers?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sunnymolini View Post
    Have you checked the manufacturer of the device to see if they have some real linux drivers?
    Unfortunately, no they do not have linux drivers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

cat is a CLI app that captures output from a file or device and redirects it to your screen (e.g. cat /etc/apt/sources.list, a command you see frequently in the forums) or to a file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am trying to do exactly this. I have found that streamer can capture the audio and video from my device. In my case the command is:

streamer -C /dev/dsp1 -c /dev/video1 -iComposite1 -s 720x480 -n ntsc -t 9:00:00 -f jpeg -j 100 -F stereo -o Video.avi

Here's where I run into issues:

1) The *only* modes listed in the (extremely sparse) documentation that works are jpeg avi, and raw. This means I have a choice between huge files, and even more huge files. Which means that none of the video editors I can find can process them. The best is Openshot, which will load the first 15 minutes before dying. Pitivi is at least kind enough to tell me that it's timing out on processing the file, but there's no way to tell it that it's ok to try longer.

2) The A/V sync is off by approximately .25 seconds. It annoyingly doesn't stay completely constant and bobbles around between .19 and .30. XawTV can record just fine, with only between .06 and .09 offset, but its resolution maxes out at 384x288, which makes things awfully fuzzy. And no, kicking streamer down to that resolution doesn't get rid of its audio lag.

So, it looks like I'm down to ffmpeg for trimming, which is fine, I've done that before, but I need a way to resync the audio (and preferably a trick to make streamer try to keep the audio offset more constant, even if it's larger.) The documentation on these things is awfully sparse.
    bIlujlaHbe'chugh, bIQaplaHbe' --tlhIngan vIttlhegh.

Was my answer helpful? A few bitcents to help a starving IT professional would be appreciated! 1CBzQFjyp5xKoRYRZog6VPgR75oCP6T2AJ

Beans

Have you tried using FFmpeg directly?
    FFmpeg Documentation: 7.7 video4linux and video4linux2

You can then output to a more suitable output format.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast