Thread: Pidgin and the Facebook Chat (Error: "Not authorized")

Beans

Pidgin and the Facebook Chat (Error: "Not authorized")

Hello,

Since a week I cannot use the Facebook chat in Pidgin anymore. I configured everything like stated in the Facebook instructions, but I keep receiving the error message.

Code:
    Not authorized.
    I do not what the problem is. Before it worked charming, but last week I changed my Facebook user name and since then it get this error. Of course I changed the user name in the configuration as well.

I have no idea what to do. I have already asked Facebook, but got no answer.

I am using Pidgin 2.7.3 on Ubuntu 10.10.

Thanks for your help!

Daniel

Beans

Re: Pidgin and the Facebook Chat (Error: "Not authorized")

I had to change my password in Facebook and after that in Pidgin and than it worked again.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi,

What I found with Empathy (and might also be an issue with Pidgin) is that if you use a user name and password to log into Facebook via the Internet as opposed to an e-mail address and password you should use the same for the IM client... vice-verse as well...

If you use e-mail for the one, and user name for the other you tend to get authorization errors in the IM client... never checked this in Pidgin but I have this sneaking suspicion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

404, right on the money. Solved my problem. Thanks.

Beans

Interesting, when I try to use my e-mail address, Pidgin says "Invalid XMPP ID", because the entire ID is my@email.address@chat.facebook.com... doesn't look too promising in itself.

Any other ideas?

Beans

I tried logging in with my user name to facebook, then tried the same with pidgin. Same not authorized error.

LE: I have found out, that this still works on my laptop, where I am using an older Pidgin version, namely 2.7.11. On my PC I have 2.10.0. I copied every account setting from the older pidgin to the new one, but it just does not work. It seems to me, that newer Pidgin versions broke something.
    Last edited by damnated; September 5th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    if you use a user name and password to log into Facebook via the Internet as opposed to an e-mail address and password you should use the same for the IM client... vice-verse as well...
    I've experienced the same problem. I don't know why, since it has run fine for months, but last night Pidgin stopped talking to Facebook and said "Not Authorized" every time I tried to reconnect.

Sure enough, I went back to my browser and logged in with my user name instead of my email address and then re-connected with Pidgin and- voila! Works perfect now.

Thank you for your help!
    Registered Linux User #547221
    "average_guy" on freenode
    Wiki | Launchpad | G+

Beans

@Robert Finley,
    Thanks for expressing what I should do so clearly. Fixed my problem!

Beans

I use my email address to log in, I logged out of facebook and logged in using the username that goes behind the fackbook.com/username and solved all my issues.

Thank you!!