Thread: Need video file splitter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Need video file splitter

I need recommendations for a video file splitter. Googling for 'video file splitter' returns 84,000 results, none of which I recognise from a know website.

Searching this website returns no results of 'video file splitter'.

What I have is 80 tapes from a Sony HI-8 CamCorder. I have extracted those to an AVI file and converted to a MP4. These tapes run from 48 mins. to an hour and 48. They are lessons from a fly tying class that my fishing club conducts. Some date back to '92. Each tape/file will consist of one subject, such caddis flies. There will be illustrations on tying several stages of the life cycle.

I would like to break each tape into chapters by life cycle.

In the repository there is 'Wavbreaker File Splitter', something similar for video would be ideal.

Any suggestion on where/what to look for? Your experience with such an animal?

TIA
    Dave
    "Let us run the risk of wearing out rather than rusting out." __Theodore Roosevelt

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Need video file splitter

What you need, by the sound of it is a simple video editor such as avidemux, or pitivi, the second of which is already in 10.10, I think. I have used avidemux, but not pitivi, so can not compare them, but I quite liked avidemux when I used it.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Hidden!

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.file -ss 00:03:00 -t 300 -acodec copy -vcodec copy output.avi
    This will make a copy of the section starting three minutes in (-ss..)and 5 minutes long (-t...)
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    What you need, by the sound of it is a simple video editor such as avidemux, or pitivi, the second of which is already in 10.10, I think. I have used avidemux, but not pitivi, so can not compare them, but I quite liked avidemux when I used it.
    File I'm currently working:
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 dave dave 2881619746 2011-02-07 15:12 Bass_Bugs_by_Bill_Gammel.avi

I would like to have a time line like 'pitivi', but it crashes with the above file.

Avidemux give me an error when trying to load but does not tell me what is wrong.

I have "kino' converting it to DV, started 1:26 minutes ago.

So far have tried: LIVES, Open Video Editor, Project X, Videocut.
    Thanks for your input. If you find anything else, let me know.
    "Let us run the risk of wearing out rather than rusting out." __Theodore Roosevelt

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.file -ss 00:03:00 -t 300 -acodec copy -vcodec copy output.avi
    This will make a copy of the section starting three minutes in (-ss..)and 5 minutes long (-t...)
    Just saying without any facts, the problem may be the file is too large and I have to break it into workable size units.

Each chapter is differents lengths. I really need a time line I can scan and see when the tyer puts a new hook in the vice. That will be the chapter break.

Your code snippet just got stuck in my script file.
    Thanks
    DAve

Beans
    Hidden!

Then watch it with mplayer, use the OSD (Press O) and < and > to go forwards and backwards. Use . to move forward frame by frame (Sorry, no backwards frame by frame) Look up edl for setting cut points.

If your video is mpeg2, try ProjectX
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    Then watch it with mplayer, use the OSD (Press O) and < and > to go forwards and backwards. Use . to move forward frame by frame (Sorry, no backwards frame by frame) Look up edl for setting cut points.

If your video is mpeg2, try ProjectX
    Will try. Thanks.