Thread: Tether Works4 UbSftCntr Only

Beans

Tether Works4 UbSftCntr Only

I'm using easytether for my android phone, on Ubuntu 10.10
    It works, acting in the terminal exactly as the tutorial here shows.

But it isn't recognised via the network connection icon (the one in the upper right corner), or System > network connections/proxy.
    Though ubuntu software center downloads 200Mb programs through it just fine!

Anyone have any idea how I can convince Ubuntu that software center is correct, I do in fact have internet access?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Tether Works4 UbSftCntr Only

Welcome to UF.

So you are typing
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    easytether enumerate
    into one terminal and then, into another terminal
    Code:
    sudo dhclient easytether0
    And at the point of being given a 'bound' IP address the Ubuntu Software Centre 'sees' the connection.

Let's verify that only Ubuntu Software Centre can 'see' this connection - I imagine you've opened a browser and gone for good old www.google.com from it, please say so and that it did not resolve.

Please post back results of following commands in terminal ('passive' commands, they ask for info, they don't set anything...)
    Code:
    ifconfig /a
    nslookup www.google.com
    Please copy and paste the results of the commands I have given you into your reply using this format: [code]<PASTED-CONTENT-HERE>[/code] to make it very easy to read and to distinguish between your text and 'system' text
    Code:
    <PASTED-CONTENT-HERE>
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans

Alright I couldn't solve the issue. I did try accessing google through the terminal (as well as chrome/firefox), no go.

Code:
    ifconfig /a
    /a: error fetching interface information: Device not found

Code:
    nslookup www.google.com
    returned a "connection timed out" error

Furthermore I couldn't get ubuntu software center to any longer download through easytether on my phone. Lacking even reproducible forms of failure I opted for a new solution.

Proxoid turned out to be an easier solution. The instructions on the main site lead to an SDK that lacks a critical file "adb". It has to be downloaded through eclipse with the rest of the android operating system, and is a major headache.

I haven't tried pdanet for Ubuntu, but these were enough of a headache that I'd recommend trying it before either of these.

Also, thank you very much robsoles for your reply. I appreciated how willing you were to help.
    Last edited by Uubo; February 7th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry:
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.