Thread: How to configure Serial Mouse Ubuntu 10.04 LTS?

Beans

How to configure Serial Mouse Ubuntu 10.04 LTS?

Hi. This is driving me nuts. Since HAL has been replaced with UDEV it is very hard to configure and set up a Serial Mouse. Before all you had to do was to change a little in xorg.conf and voila! Well, those were the days!

I am running minimal Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with Fluxbox and LXDE installed. I installed the package "gpm" and tried

Code:
    inputattach --microsoft /dev/ttyS0
    in several ways:

1. If I write it directly in terminal (no GUI) nothing happens, I get a bunch of text with "Killed" at the end. I know when the command is active and working the corresponding (virtual) console should lock up. At least it has before.

2. If I try putting it in the file " /etc/rc.local" like I have seen in some places, the computer hangs during boot.

Can anybody help me out here please!
    Last edited by KingBongo; February 25th, 2011 at 07:18 AM.

Beans

Re: How to configure Serial Mouse Ubuntu 10.04 LTS?

Hellooooooo?

Is it really the case that the issue with serial devices hasn't been resolved yet? Then why switch to UDEV? I have seen several posts on the web where people are having problems with serial stuff.

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I need help too. See specifically http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/427612 (how does he know what port the serial mouse is on?). When I try this nothing happens (during boot or otherwise).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You generally need to put an & on the end of anything in rc.local, otherwise bootup will wait for the command to finish before continuing.

There is also a --daemon paramater for inputattach that makes it run in the background as a detached process.

Are you not using a GUI at all on this system then?
    bIlujlaHbe'chugh, bIQaplaHbe' --tlhIngan vIttlhegh.

Was my answer helpful? A few bitcents to help a starving IT professional would be appreciated! 1CBzQFjyp5xKoRYRZog6VPgR75oCP6T2AJ