Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about partitions

Beans

Questions about partitions

Right now, i'm using Ubuntu 10.04. When i first installed it i was planning to do a dual boot between the windows XP that i had and the Ubuntu that i was installing. Unfortunately i had no clue what i was doing and deleted windows... now all i have is Ubuntu. I don't want to go back to windows permanently but i do want a minimal install so that i can play a few games i can't play under wine. When I run the XP setup I have two partitions. One with about 90000 MB and the other with about 3000 MB, they're both unrecognized. I need to know which one has Ubuntu on it, and why the other isn't already empty. Is there anyway i can boot up the other partition to see what's going on in it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Questions about partitions

The bigger partition is likely to be the Ubuntu one, while the other is probably the swap partition. To install XP, you'll need to resize the Ubuntu partition with Gparted, running from the Ubuntu live cd. After that, the Windows installer should recognize the unallocated space and be able to install XP there.

Beans

wow, that was speedy Soo, if i use this GParted program, how much space do you think i'll need for a minimal install of windows? And how exactly do I use it while booting from the live CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Before you do anything else, you probably want to make sure that Windows did in fact get deleted. Open a terminal and enter the following.

sudo fdisk -l

This will show all of your partitions. Then, copy and paste back here and we should be able to tell you if one of those partitions is probably your Windows.

Beans

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12161 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x1549f232

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1       11716    94108738+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda2           11717       12161     3574462+   5  Extended
    /dev/sda5           11717       12161     3574431   82  Linux swap / Solaris

Beans
    Distro

Yep, you lost Windows. You can use GParted with the live cd to create a new partition. The size depends on the Windows distro. If it is XP, then I think you can get away with only 10 - 20GB, but if it is Vista or 7, then I would have to do some research to find out what the minimum recommended size is.

Beans

Oh thanks so about this whole live cd thing.. I just dig out the cd i used to install, select the trial thing instead of the install, get GParted and run it from there?

Beans
    Distro

Yes, that is pretty much it. I don't know what version you are using, but GParted may or may not be included. If it is not, you can install it once you are logged in to the live disk.

Edit to say that you can download a GParted live iso and burn that to a cd too. http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    Last edited by jroa; February 6th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.

Beans

Yay Thanks for the help

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast