Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Create your own udev rules to control removable devices

Beans

Re: Create your own udev rules to control removable devices

Quote Originally Posted by Nattereri View Post
    mattydee:
    Yes I want it to automagically mount after pluggin it in. I did not read about fstab and maybe I should investigate it. I knew about the drives failing on boot and that is why I went with the udev route. But maybe I could use a combination of the two to eliminate the root mounting problem and just execute mount -a. A more elegant solution and less files laying around to secure.
    You could probably use a combination of the udev rules that detect and then execute the mount command, based on the UUID. Then in your fstab, you would have the proper entry for that device with an option like "user" which allows users to mount that particular device. I would stay away from a mount -a (mount all)command, since that could very well lead to unforeseen problems!!!

EDIT:
    So an overview
    1. your fstab would have an entry of the form
    Code:
    UUID=1234  /folder/mydevice  ntfs-3g  nofail,user,{other options} 0  0
    2. You would have udev rules that detects a device that has UUID 1234 being plugged in to execute "mount /folder/mydevice"

EDIT2:
    You might not even have to use the UUID in your udev rule. Only in the fstab
    Last edited by mattydee; October 1st, 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Beans

Hi Shreepads,

In Ubuntu 12.04.01 LTS you can use the nobootwait (instead of nofail) option in /etc/fstab to stop the 'S to skip' message when the USB drive is not connected while booting.

Beans

Your post is good and top of my Google "ubuntu udev rules" search, but I think that:

BUS is now deprecated, we're supposed to use "SUBSYSTEM" instead.
    SYSFS is deprecated, we're supposed to use "ATTR" now (probably means "attribute").

See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...sd/+bug/512464

Maybe someone else can be bothered to post exactly when (version) the old keywords won't work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Indeed. This tutorial has long been obsolete.

Moved to Outdated Tutorials & Tips
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789