Thread: Logitech webcam help?

Beans

Post Logitech webcam help?

I have a Logitech HD Webcam C270. I was able to install it onto Windows, but seeing as I use Ubuntu 90% of the time, I would like to be able to install it on Ubuntu also. The CD doesn't work for installation (pretty much windows installation files), and the webcam is not detected when I plug it in.
    I am lost when it comes to installing most things on Ubuntu... Can someone please give me guidance? Do I need to use terminal, download drivers, what?
    Thank you in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Logitech webcam help?

Quote Originally Posted by Asgi View Post
    I have a Logitech HD Webcam C270. I was able to install it onto Windows, but seeing as I use Ubuntu 90% of the time, I would like to be able to install it on Ubuntu also. The CD doesn't work for installation (pretty much windows installation files), and the webcam is not detected when I plug it in.
    Install Cheese from the Software Centre and give a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Asgi View Post
    I am lost when it comes to installing most things on Ubuntu... Can someone please give me guidance? Do I need to use terminal, download drivers, what?
    Thank you in advance for any help.
    Personally I prefer buying and using hardware that works natively with the kernel without troubling myself with downloading and installing stuff, unless it worths it. Besides, there is hardware for which the drivers even in Windows may not be certified. Here is a list of most compatible web cameras:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...amerasLogitech

This is useful as well:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/

Beans

Uhm... I just tried installing Cheese. "An unhandlable error occurred."
    There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks. Please report this error at http://launchpad.net/aptdaemon/+filebug and retry.

should I maybe just try sudo apt-get install cheese ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

always try
    HTML Code:
    sudo apt-get install package_name
    first its the safest way to install for your system
    Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Beans

Got it!
    Is there anyway to use it do record audio on LMMS, or even Cheese? The webcam has a built in mic.

Beans

I have a C270 and my audio doesn't work. It is on the list of supported webcams. When I plug it in the video is recognized, but not the audio.

When I plug it in I get this message on dmesg:
    Code:
    [420740.288084] usb 2-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [420740.637295] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device <unnamed> (046d:0825)
    [420740.733957] input: UVC Camera (046d:0825) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-4/2-4:1.0/input/input14
    lsusb says:
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc.
    Any ideas?

Beans

All I had to do is sudo modprobe snd_usb_audio and the right device appeared. After that I had to unmute it and select it for the software I was using, yay!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have the exact same webcam, and it worked as soon as I plugged it in. The only problem i've ever had is that Pulse seems to sometimes randomly decide to switch to the mic input on my mobo instead of the mic in the webcam.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Necromancy - thread closed

As per the Ubuntu Forums code of conduct, please do not post in threads more than one year old

Thanks!
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.