Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to monitor CPU temp?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Best way to monitor CPU temp?

I'm going away for a while . . . a few things I should do . . . I will check back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by djyoung4 View Post
    or you could try conky
    Thanks. That is how this started back on another thread. I noticed that the temps displayed in my conky were much higher than what other people were reporting.
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans
    Distro

o i see. i kinda skipped over some of the responses and just posted
    Maybe i can be of some help. Are you asking what is the best way to differentiate between all the sensors you have because as far as I can tell you have 4 or 5 temp sensors and a 2 fan sensors.
    Last edited by djyoung4; February 4th, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
    I'm a super power user

Beans
    Hidden!

I looks to me like (from left to right in your pic)

Libsensors:

tmp1 - cpu (70 oc)
    Core 0 - Core 0 (81 oc)
    Core 1 - Core 1 (81 oc)

i8k:

temp 1 - cpu (69 oc)

acpi:

thm - cpu (70 oc)

So we can tell acpi and libsensors are giving the same readings for the cpu even though libsensors is not calling it cpu(i'm guess it is though). i8k may be more sensitive *shrugs*.

You could re-boot into the bios and see which cpu sensor is the closest to what the bios says because it should be given that info.

Duel fans could be just that there may be a second fan header and it's picking that up as a sensor but as you say, there may not be a fan plugged in at all.

You often get this with speedfan in windows, it reads null values because there are sensors with nothing attached.
    Last edited by JayKay3OOO; February 4th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by djyoung4 View Post
    o i see. i kinda skipped over some of the responses and just posted
    Maybe i can be of some help. Are you asking what is the best way to differentiate between all the sensors you have because as far as I can tell you have 4 or 5 temp sensors and a 2 fan sensors.
    Yes, actually that would be helpful.

I can match these preferences up with the sensor displayed in the shot below, but I don't understand what they actually mean.

What does libsensors mean by temp 1 and how is that different from the temps of the cores? I thought that the cores were the CPUs.

Then i8k lists a temp 1 and calls it CPU, but there is only one of them.

I don't know what acpi Thermal means either.

If I run the sensors command in the terminal I get this:
    Code:
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1:       +65.5°C  (crit = +87.0°C)                  

coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 0:      +83.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)  

coretemp-isa-0001
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 1:      +83.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    These numbers are different from the screen shot numbers because I took the screen shots earlier and I just ran the sensors command.

Are the +65.5°C (crit = +87.0°C) and (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C) notices actual notices for my hardware or simply default notices that appear with any setup unless you manually change them?
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

in the applet they are set manually as to what is high/low
    look up your processer/gpu/hdd on the net
    http:/www.google.com
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!

This might help.

(Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) A power management specification developed by Intel, Toshiba and Microsoft that makes hardware status information available to the operating system.

Definition: i8kutils: Dell Inspiron and Latitude laptop utilities This is a collection of utilities to control Dell Inspiron and Latitude laptops. It includes programs to turn the fan on and off, to read fan status, CPU temperature, BIOS version and to handle the volume buttons and Fn-keys. The package includes also a small Tk applet, designed to be swallowed in the gnome panel, which monitors the CPU temperature and comtrols automatically the fans accordingly to user defined thresholds. The programs require the kernel module i8k.o which can be compiled from the package sources or found in Linux kernel 2.4.14 and later versions. The kernel module has been tested only on Inspiron 8000 laptops but it should work on any Inspiron and Latitude laptops.

If you have one cpu with a duel core processor then each core might give a temp reading. Although on my 965 quad core it does not.

Beans
    Distro

I'm not sure what you cpu temp is, but the 80's just sounds high. I'd really want to google my processor and find what its real desired operating temperatures are. If you don't know any details about your processor, in terminal type "lscpu" and you'll probably learn more than you really want to know. Then google the processor by brand and model . . . and you'll probably find something there that helps.

I know processors are different, but everything I've seen says healthy temps are most often 30's (I suppose you couldn't get them much lower, even at idle) to 70's. 70's seem like high when under a load. All are different. My little AMD athlon lists 100 as critical. The processor on my larger machine (forgot what model at the moment) lists critical as in the 90's. (It is a more powerful machine and in general runs cooler). Someone, I'm not sure who --told me that a healthy temp didn't stay much over 75% of critical value for long periods of time.

Working with cd's and dvd's has usually used quite a bit of cpu . . . and ran temps up a bit . . . that and Flash video.

Again, I am not an authority, just a user who likes his Ubuntu, trying to learn as I go along.
    Last edited by cloyd; February 5th, 2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: subject verb agreement . . . missing words . . . too much of a hurry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I get this information when I run the command.
    Code:
    Architecture:          i686
    CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
    CPU(s):                2
    Thread(s) per core:    1
    Core(s) per socket:    2
    CPU socket(s):         1
    Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
    CPU family:            6
    Model:                 15
    Stepping:              13
    CPU MHz:               1000.000
    L1d cache:             32K
    L1i cache:             32K
    L2 cache:              2048K
    It sounds stupid, but I'm not sure how to find the temp information in Google. I've tried searching several different ways including going to Intel's website. I keep getting hits for things other than what I'm looking for. (I must not be searching correctly.)
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans
    Distro

Well, I thought it would be easy, but as I tried, I found that definitely identifying the processor and going to a table was not as easy as it sounded. I've found tables with max temps listed, but . . . it has been pretty hard to identify your processor exactly, even after looking at the output form lscpu and then going to the dell page on your computer. The Dell page lists these Intel processors for your machine: Pentium t2310 or a core 2 t5250 or (Core 2 from here on) or t 54450 or t7250 or t7500. Then, I am not finding these models explicitly listed in the tables I've found,

However
    What I did see in searching is that most intel processors designed for laptops have a max rated temp of 100 C. Other advice on pages I found said that they really should run at least 20 degrees cooler most of the time. That pretty well matches what I was told . . . that they should run about 75% of the max temp most of the time . . . though he 20 degree figure allows it to be just a bit higher.

As yet, no one has told us why 65 to 83 reading and the differences between the two. My guess is that your processor is at 65 . . . though I don't really know.

83 degrees C is hot. Here in the US, we are stuck in the dark ages with F scale, but I would think that 83 degrees would make for a very hot computer, or some very hot air coming out of the vents when the fan is on.

Right now, if no one can help us on this, I'd suggest contacting Dell. I don't know how good their customer service is now, especially under Ubuntu though I know they sell machine with Ubuntu. I had a Dell a few years ago, and they were generally helpful with my old Inspiron 2650 and Windows XP. I don't know what they are like now.

If anybody else has better advice, I'd sure like to hear it.

EDIT: I just looked at something else . . . http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2...%20Mobile.html
    2 other pages help confirm this. http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Art...eratures.shtml
    and http://techstroke.com/recommended-ma...rocessors.html
    These seem to confirm that the critical temp is 100 C.

this definitely identifies your intel processor as classified as "moblie". So again, I think the case is max is 100 C.
    Last edited by cloyd; February 5th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast