Thread: How to optimize my computers work for my needs?

Beans

Question How to optimize my computers work for my needs?

Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu just few days, so I'm starting to look how to improve my user experience.

1) Mainly I'm working with loads of PDF and internet browser tabs, I'm young scholar, so I need maximum effectiveness in this field.
    2) I'm crazy about music, so I'm looking for the best music player and other stuff to cheer my ears.
    3) I'm kinda social network's troll who seeks for quick and widely useable image editor.

Any recomendations?

~D.S.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How to optimize my computers work for my needs?

1) If you have a lot of browser tabs open in firefox, you can configure it to open your tabs from your last session on startup, and stuff like that: in Firefox Preferences > General and Firefox Preferences > Privacy, you'll find the options you want (this will save your skin from crashes too). You can read PDFs in Firefox too (and thus get the but there are probably better PDF viewers you'll find.

2) As music players go I like Clementine for looking after my music library, it has all sorts of options for hooking into online services such as Grooveshark and Last.fm... You could also check out Miro at http://www.getmiro.com/ or in the Ubuntu Software Centre. The USC has an old version (Miro 4), but Miro 6 is now out.

3) The default image library software is called Shotwell, and doesn't have many tools; the GIMP is a much more feature-filled editor. You can get version 2.6 in the Software Centre, however to get the latest version (2.8) you will need to type these simple instructions in a Terminal :
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
    Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install gimp
    Source and more information: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/gimp-...lable-for.html
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by NURKYZIUOTAS View Post
    Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu just few days, so I'm starting to look how to improve my user experience.
    Are you using the default Ubuntu or Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu/etc?

1) Mainly I'm working with loads of PDF and internet browser tabs, I'm young scholar, so I need maximum effectiveness in this field.
    Firefox is a great browser for having lots of tabs open at once. I use "Tree Style Tabs" addon for firefox to organize my open tabs in to hierarchical lists of tabs to the left of the browser window. Also, I can save entire lists to favorite by right-clicking on the top level tab of a hierarchical list of tabs and clicking "Bookmark this tree".

2) I'm crazy about music, so I'm looking for the best music player and other stuff to cheer my ears.
    Guayadeque works pretty good on most distros I have tried and is very customizable. I also use Amarok on one of my Kubuntu boxes, but am not sure how well it works on vanilla Ubuntu.

3) I'm kinda social network's troll who seeks for quick and widely useable image editor.

Any recomendations?

~D.S.
    I use GIMP and Inkscape personally.

Beans

My advice is different, get an extra monitor. Dual monitor will help you greatly. Especially when you writing your work in one monitor, you can refer to your data on the other monitor, or PDF or a template for your work. You will find your productivity will increase. With a widescreen monitor, you can have Firefox taking up the left half, and you can have Adobe Reader (or others, I just like Adobe Reader more, and it has tab views as well) on the right half. And then you have your primary monitor for your work ( Writer, Calc, Impress or others).

You will appreciate a reference manager. I used Mendeley Desktop. ReadCube (intergrated with several famous journal such as Nature) has great prospect (its still building up, so it might good for young people to follow it) but for me it does not match Mendeley Desktop level yet. Mendeley Desktop has tab views as well.