Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help installing .tgz file

Beans

Need Help installing .tgz file

hello, I am new to Ubuntu and don't know how to install downloaded programs made for linux.

I downloaded zimbra (email client) for linux.

file name is:

zdesktop_2_0_1_b10659_linux_i686.tgz

its saved on my desktop.

when I double click it (like windows), there is no .exe file its just lots of folders within folders and files.

Help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Need Help installing .tgz file

1. What version of Ubuntu are you using? Is it the server version?

2. Did you Google for "How to install .tgz file in Ubuntu?

3. Have you unzipped, or extracted the file? If so, is there a "Read Me" file there? If so, what does it say?

** Just trying to establish how much you may have already done **

To extract to the Desktop, right click and select "Extract Here" - or something to that effect.

also - look here -
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Desktop_2
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need Help installing .tgz file

Quote Originally Posted by rfjfj View Post
    hello, I am new to Ubuntu and don't know how to install downloaded programs made for linux.

I downloaded zimbra (email client) for linux.

file name is:

zdesktop_2_0_1_b10659_linux_i686.tgz

its saved on my desktop.

when I double click it (like windows), there is no .exe file its just lots of folders within folders and files.

Help.
    Did you try reading the instructions provided with the package, or on the web page where you downloaded the file from? From what I can find out with Google, there's a shell script inside that you must run as root; it should be like "install_zimbra_client.sh" or something similar.

Open up a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type:

Code:
    sudo sh
    press the spacebar to add a space, and then drag the shell script to the terminal. Bring the terminal to the front again and press Enter.

Note, however, that for simple e-mail there is already an e-mail client preinstalled with Ubuntu - it's called Evolution and it's in the menus. Also, normally with Linux you don't just download a file from a website when you want to install software - you should ideally use the Ubuntu Software Center to find and install software. Zimbra is not available in USC, nor is there a PPA repository to add it to USC, which is why I've given you these instructions. But normally most of what you will want will be in the Software Center.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

i extracted it. From there there is a install.pl file which i can run in terminal. It asks me to continue with isntallation and where to save it.

now this is where i get suck. Coming from windows 7, i am looking for folder such as program files but there is no such thing, so where should i save this file?

sorry, i am total noob to ubuntu, not sure how terminal works.

detailed help would be helpful.

I am running ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

They usually have a default installation directory. Try just pressing enter without a directory and see if it continues anyway with the default. Typical install directories are /usr/bin/, /opt/ or /bin/

Since this is probably an entire client you could probably make a folder in /opt/ and toss the entire thing in there.

Beans

sorry, try pressing enter but cannot continue like that

when I go in terminal, it ask to press enter to continue>>type A to accept terms then it asks for this:

Choose the folder where you would like to install Zimbra Desktop's application files [/opt/zimbra/zdesktop]:

i try typing opt/zimbradesktop it worked.

Choose the folder where you would like to install Zimbra Desktop's application files [/opt/zimbra/zdesktop]: opt/zimbradesktop

Installing application files...done

You have finished installing application files.

Would you like to continue to install data files for user: nilay?
    ------------------------------
    (Y)es or (N)o [Y]: Y

after I press enter, terminal window closes.

Now, i see the folder I extracted initially on the desktop has a new folder named opt>zimbradesktop>data, db, jetty, lib, linux (all folders) and License.rtf, README.txt

under linux, there is jre (folder), prism (folder), user-install.pl and zimbra Desktop. When I double click zimbra desktop it gives me this error:

There was an error launching the application.
    Details: Failed to execute child process "@install.app.root@/linux/prism/zdclient" (No such file or directory)

double clicking user-install.pl, it gives me option to run in terminal there it shows this message:

Choose the folder where you would like to install Zimbra Desktop's user data files [/home/nilay/zdesktop]:

now, i am totally stuck!!!

help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You see those things in the brackets at the end of each line asking for your input? Those are the defaults for the script and are supposed to be what is used if you do not type in anything.

To run the application in terminal try
    Code:
    cd /opt/zimbradesktop/
    ls
    and try running whatever executable you see there (they are normally highlighted in green) with
    Code:
    ./<filename>
    I think the one its trying to run is
    Code:
    ./linux/prism/zdclient

Beans

when i try to install it from the beginning and just press enter when it prompts:

hoose the folder where you would like to install Zimbra Desktop's application files [/opt/zimbra/zdesktop]:

I just press enter and terminal windows closes and goes away. I go to opt folder but zimbra folder is not there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

id you use sudo to install the appliation?

Code:
    sudo  ./install.pl

Beans

i don't know what sudo is, can you tell me exactly what to type in terminal (brand new to ubuntu). i am not sure what you mean cariboo907

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast