Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fan control

Beans

Re: fan control

so far so good its sitting idle with each core at about 60 haven't put a load on it yet to see how high it will go but its good to hear the fan running again. also i dont have to worry about school and my computer right now i have one at school and im only going to be starting net+ next week.

but any way i really do appreciate the help THANKS

Ben

putting under stress still runs a little hot at 74c but dosnt jump over 80 now
    Last edited by ben889; February 3rd, 2011 at 04:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am glad I could help.

If I could tell you how, it would probably be a good idea to check and see if there were any dust inside your machine that blocks airflow. My son had a similar problem, and took his machine apart and found a big ball of fuzz in the machine. My son is different from me . . . he can take things apart, and usually get them back together. I can rarely get them back together. I take mine to a tech for anything requiring that on a laptop or netbook. I do not reccomend taking a laptop or netbook down oneself.

Ubuntu is a great way to learn more about your computer. It is also a great way to have a virus free, relatively crash free, fast booting, system with tons of good available free software. I hope you stick with it, and maybe along the way get someone else interested in it.

Beans

haven't started a+ yet but taking this apart isn't a problem.

once again thanks for the help now that this is solved i just have one more thing to take care of and its by-bye windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm running 10.10 on a Dell Inspiron 1520. After reading this I'm a bit concerned because Conky lists both of my CPUs are running at 74 C when they are not stressed. According to Conky they heat up to +90 C if I'm doing something strenuous like rendering some video.

Can the acer fan control command do any damage if I try to run it on a Dell?
    Thank you,
    GG -----------
    GUI we don't need no stinking GUI: A collection of Bash scripts
    Mutt (email), cmus (music),Google Calendar and Google Tasks cli

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyGaijin View Post
    I'm running 10.10 on a Dell Inspiron 1520. After reading this I'm a bit concerned because Conky lists both of my CPUs are running at 74 C when they are not stressed. According to Conky they heat up to +90 C if I'm doing something strenuous like rendering some video.

Can the acer fan control command do any damage if I try to run it on a Dell?
    I'm not an expert, just a user who has liked his ubuntu. I don't see how acer command could not help. I would suspect that if it is only supported for acer and gateway, that nothing would happen . . . and at the most all you'd get would be "command not supported" or something like that. If you must create the config file, and it doesn't work, then just delete it. However, with temps like you are reporting, you may have more of a problem than just the fan settings.

Another thing . . . you may be able to do a google search on your processors and find out what their critical temps actually are . . . though I'd definitely be concerned with the 90's.
    Last edited by cloyd; February 4th, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I think the temp being shown in my conky is not correct.
    I installed i8kmon and there is about a 10 degree difference in reported temps.

Does anyone have any advice?
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans
    Distro

Have you tried sensors in the terminal?

There is also an apt you can add to your panel called "computer temperature monitor.

The panel apt is kind of handy to have . . . when I run conky, I can't see any shortcuts on my desktop . . . and I kind of like it that way. However, there are times when I don't want conky, but I still want to monitor the processor temp.

I wouldn't think that a system with only a 37% load on the processors would be that hot unless something else were going on. The problem could be ventilation, or a kernel problem. However, if you have been looking at these temps for a year or so, and you're still up and running, maybe the reported temp is incorrect. I'd try a third way of checking the temperature and see what it says.

I'm not familiar with i8kmon, but I want to try check it out.

By the way . . . we may want to start a new thread here if we continue this conversation . . . I think we're hijacking somebody else's thread.
    Last edited by cloyd; February 4th, 2011 at 06:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cloyd View Post
    Have you tried sensors in the terminal?

There is also an apt you can add to your panel called "computer temperature monitor.

The panel apt is kind of handy to have . . . when I run conky, I can't see any shortcuts on my desktop . . . and I kind of like it that way. However, there are times when I don't want conky, but I still want to monitor the processor temp.

I wouldn't think that a system with only a 37% load on the processors would be that hot unless something else were going on. The problem could be ventilation, or a kernel problem. However, if you have been looking at these temps for a year or so, and you're still up and running, maybe the reported temp is incorrect. I'd try a third way of checking the temperature and see what it says.

I'm not familiar with i8kmon, but I want to try check it out.

By the way . . . we may want to start a new thread here if we continue this conversation . . . I think we're hijacking somebody else's thread.
    Good idea - I'll start a new thread.
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans
    Distro

Thank you,
    GG -----------