Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fork of GNOME 2?

Beans

Re: Fork of GNOME 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    If you know, then stop reinforcing confusion. = )

If I'm understanding you, then, you're talking about Gnome Shell vs. the Classic Gnome desktop (both of which are still in 3.0.) If there were any fork like what you're describing, it would quite literally just be a fork of Gnome Panel.
    I bet it is better to be true. But as far as I know Fallback mode of Gnome 3 is unpleasant to compare Gnome 2. Even one may run Compiz on it, there are themes and other issues that will not satisfy old guys (like me). Another bad thing as I know, that developers of Gnome did not care too much about supporting (polishing) fallback mode, and probably as I understand their intention it will be dropped in some future. Now I learn to use kde4 without panel and with avant window manager+Compiz+Emerald. But I feel it slower than Gnome 2 with similar configuration I hope, it will be reasonable to fork Gnome2 as it was for kde3 (trinity). Probably I should try trinity in the similar configuration.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's a possibility, but you could also do the same thing with Ubuntu's Gnome install.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Get Ubuntu 11.04, you can disable the Unity plugin in compiz and then add AWN (along with Emerald).

If you want Compiz + Emerald + AWN + Running Fast, then you want XFCE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

See, I had the same feeling, but then I had this explained to me: XFCE is a desktop background, a panel, a window manager, and a settings daemon. Compiz and AWN provide three quarters of those things. When you talk about Gnome vs. XFCE under those conditions, you're actually deciding between gnome-settings-daemon and xfce-settings-helper.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't see what's wrong with you still using it. A lot of people are using older versions of Ubuntu. I like to have the best and most recent software available (not counting beta and alpha), but there are no disadvantages I know of.

Beans

Cool Re: Fork of GNOME 2?

All technicalities aside, I'm with the OP here. Gnome 2 rocks. Gnome 3 & Unity remind me too much of android / iphone, and I don't want a computer that works like these chinsy frakkin' phones. I have an iphone that I would have never bought had I known that Apple would take the stance that they did about jailbreaking. At first, I wanted to upgrade to an Android phone, that is, until I got a peek under the hood. A friend of mine has a Samsung Galaxy (I forget the exact model number; irrelevant), which is rooted. I installed OpenSSH on it for him and showed him how to connect into it using PuTTY, since he's primarily a Windows user. When I got to poking around in the file system, exploring out the directory trees, for the life of me, I could barely see anything resembling Linux in there. Granted, there's nothing forcing a vendor to write their OS & filesystem structure along any certain guidelines to make it work, but it's usually better to do so from a development stance, simply to reduce the learning curve for developers that work with several platforms... an odd duck is an odd duck.

Anyways, if it takes compiling Gnome 2 from source on a future release, then that may be exactly what I do, but it seems to me that with the number of people that have complained about the new (so called) vision for Gnome & Ubuntu in particular, one would think that the dev-teams would actually stop for a moment, pause, and take listen to what their 'fanbase' are saying. I don't want some broken legacy mode. I don't want an X86 compatible OS that looks like a smartphone/MID/Tablet OS on any of my 22 systems I have at home.

If 12.04 follows suit with 11.04 to help hasten the demise of Gnome 2 in favor of Unity's fisher-price-looking-interface, I'm sorry, but I'll have to go a different way, and many will follow with me.

Beans

I will also have to agree with the OP.
    I used Unity for 2 weeks -- not to my taste .
    I am using Gnome 3 ( Fedora ) and Kubuntu 11.04 -- not fussed on either of them either .
    I guess after using Gnome 2.x since it's beta days ( 9 years or so ) I have become very used to that way of doing things .
    I had the same issue with running Fedora -- over a decade of Debian and derivatives I was lost on an RPM distro ( Still am a bit ) . I hope they come up with something usable or I will be stuck on XFCE which looks like a cheap knockoff of Gnome 2.x although XFCE does work VERY well.
    Ubuntu forum members said "If I am unhappy with Unity there are many other options " True - I changed to another Distro - problem solved !
    I found I need neither Unity nor Ubuntu !

Beans

"Desktop Environment is so important for the overall 'pleasure' during computer use, that Linux Mint, being what it is and what it is intended to be, should seriously consider, for a not so distant future, to have its own Desktop Environment - be it a fork or not. This DE should be: 1) aligned with the distro philosophy, determinded by the team; AND 2) open, as usual, to direct and open discussion with the user base."

Beans

The classic desktop in Gnome 3 works almost exactly the same as it did in Gnome 2.32. The Gnome developers have even mentioned it will continue to recieve attention for as long as the free accelerated drivers are an issue for Gnome Shell's adoption. So I'd imagine that still gives it at least a year or two of work before people would even need to consider finding an alternative. By that time, most of the hard work will have been done (Actually, that's true right now. It's ported to Gtk3/Gnome3 and completely functional).

The only thing that's really left is for more Gtk3 themes to be created, and for third party applets to be ported over. Here's a link to how I have my current classic Gnome(3) setup.

Beans

(Actually, that's true right now. It's ported to Gtk3/Gnome3 and completely functional).
    Have you actually spent some time on classic ?
    completely functional - well almost !
    Ubuntu forum members said "If I am unhappy with Unity there are many other options " True - I changed to another Distro - problem solved !
    I found I need neither Unity nor Ubuntu !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast