Thread: Need urgent help

Beans

Need urgent help

I've somehow managed to completely wreck my netbook.

I got a weird error start today where all my themes went haywire and then stayed stuck on a horrible grey theme that I couldn't change.

I read that reinstalling nautilus would fix it and that I had to do it through synaptics.

I typed synaptics into gnomedo and then searched for nautilus. I then right-clicked and assigned to remove. Hit apply, then right clicked and assigned to reinstall and then hit apply again.

Everything was working fine. Though it didn't fix the theme, so I restarted to see if that would help take effect. Instead it now wont run at all.

I installed 10.10 on to a USB pen and set that as the primary boot in the bios but even that gets stuck when the scripts start running on the screen. The point it gets to is "check battery state".

I have no idea what to do now.

If you can help me, please break down your answers/ other questions. I really don't know anything about this stuff.

Beans

Talking Re: Need urgent help

First insert your USB and press ESC while turning the computer on then select USB (most likely the second one) then you can continue.

Beans

Re: Need urgent help

Quote Originally Posted by Carson5696 View Post
    First insert your USB and press ESC while turning the computer on then select USB (most likely the second one) then you can continue.
    If you read my post, i've already set it as the primary boot disc.

Beans

Talking Re: Need urgent help

sometimes it does not load all of the scripts just try it

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by falsepod View Post
    I've somehow managed to completely wreck my netbook.

I got a weird error start today where all my themes went haywire and then stayed stuck on a horrible grey theme that I couldn't change.

I read that reinstalling nautilus would fix it and that I had to do it through synaptics.

I typed synaptics into gnomedo and then searched for nautilus. I then right-clicked and assigned to remove. Hit apply, then right clicked and assigned to reinstall and then hit apply again.

Everything was working fine. Though it didn't fix the theme, so I restarted to see if that would help take effect. Instead it now wont run at all.
    What happened after this part? How far did it boot and can you remeber any errors?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    What happened after this part? How far did it boot and can you remeber any errors?
    basically the first script that runs ran down to the battery check section, then kept on repeating for like six times really quick. then it would stay stuck.

so I tried the USB method. but thats been even weirder. its totally inconsistent what happens each time. I've had attempts where its given me a menu allowing me to boot in recovery mode.

recovery mode let me get right up to linux as script. i logged in (still in script). it welcomed me but stayed in script. and at that point I had no idea how to get it to go to the UI so I restarted again.

one error I recall was to do with gnustep though and that there was an invalid directory

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Can you burn a fresh copy of 10.10 onto your USB stick?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Can you burn a fresh copy of 10.10 onto your USB stick?
    I managed to get a build of 10.04 to work. At the cost of all of my saved data unfortunately. Thanks for the help.