Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Ubuntu to host 9660 images for Windows Clients - Help!

Beans

Re: Using Ubuntu to host 9660 images for Windows Clients - Help!

The ISOs are in /home/oxfdev/ISO
    Once mounted they are in /home/oxfdev/IMAGES

I have tried mounting them to /mnt/IMAGES/imagename

I'm putting them in a subfolder as I intend to share the subfolder with around 15 mounted in total

---

Just going to see if using fstab to automatically mount them changes anything: this thread implys there is a "user can mount" option
    Last edited by mtwelve; February 2nd, 2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: missed something off

Beans

OK it doesn't like me automounting in fstab... it keeps hanging asking me to skip.

I added the line:
    /home/oxfdev/ISO/bigabc.iso /home/oxfdev/IMAGES/BIGABC udf,iso9660 user,loop 0 0

I separated with a single space and with a single tab; neither worked... is there something wrong with my syntax

Thanks

Beans

Code:
    sudo mount /home/oxfdev/ISO/bigabc.iso /home/oxfdev/IMAGES -t iso9660 -o loop
    I know you are using gMount to mount the images but it might be messing you up.

I'm not entirely sure what the line should be but your line doesn't look right...shouldn't you at least specify the mount command?
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans

I'll continue to add information because it might be relevant....

Mounting the images to /media/BIGABC still gave me "Permission Denied" locally

fstab continued to not like mounting the images automatically. I added some more options dev,exec,suid

Thanks again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    Code:
    sudo mount /home/oxfdev/ISO/bigabc.iso /home/oxfdev/IMAGES -t iso9660 -o loop
    I know you are using gMount to mount the images but it might be messing you up.

I'm not entirely sure what the line should be but your line doesn't look right...shouldn't you at least specify the mount command?
    Sorry I may not have been clear that was the line I added to fstab... it seemed to follow the idea in the documentation: LINK and this thread about auto mounting images: LINK

Its unlikely to make a difference but I'm making the images on a Windows machine... ISO Master is a bit odd if your making an ISO out of a disk (adding folders rather than specifying the source)

Gracias

Beans

Well if you think that Windows is messing you up try remaking the images in Ubuntu

Code:
    sudo aptitude install isomaster
    It has a GUI as the windows version

Or you can install a totally different CLI program

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ccd2iso

Syntax would be

Code:
    ccd2iso inputfile.iso outputfile.img
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans

Ha! Solved!

The main culprit here is the images that ISOMaster was creating...

All I have done is used an image made on my Windows machine and it mounts correctly (CLI or GMount) and it share fine (accessible locally and from a windows client)

It even mounted first time in fstab

Thanks to Caboose885 and pricetech

BONUS QUESTION: Does anyone know the maximum amount of iso9660 images you can mount at any one time?

Beans

I'm guessing it would be as many as you want? I don't see anything online about a maximum. I think it would be based on how powerful your computer is.

Do you know the answer?

Beans

When looking into making a CD Server I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a limit to the number of file systems Linux can mount at one time... Somewhere around 20...

It wasn't specifically 9660 file systems, just file systems in general...

Beans

Well you could always copy the image contents and save them to the hard drive if you ever hit the max amount. It would probably end up being faster because the OS wouldn't have to keep all the images mounted all the time. It would end up being normal files on the system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast