Thread: Awaiting delivery of my Ratel Ultra Desktop

Beans

Awaiting delivery of my Ratel Ultra Desktop

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know I have purchased a Ratel Ultra desktop.
    After reading numorous reviews about the Laptops and Netbooks, all of them being Very good to excellent I decided it was time for a new desktop.
    As soon as it arrives and I have had a chance to play with it a bit I will post a review.

Can't wait.

Cheers
    JR223

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Awaiting delivery of my Ratel Ultra Desktop

I'm sure you'll love your new system. It's certainly one of the best looking desktops out there, and it runs smooth as warm butter with Ubuntu.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've been considering this purchase as well for our 12yo daughter. I switched her over from an HP windows machine and installed 10.10 on it, and she loves it. We're thinking of getting her a desktop for her room as her laptop is older and not as speedy. I've looked at the NetTops but am thinking the Ratel is the better option for performance. Hopefully she'll use it for her ever increasing school work and not just facebook and youtube!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    I'm sure you'll love your new system. It's certainly one of the best looking desktops out there, and it runs smooth as warm butter with Ubuntu.

Ohhhhh I can't wait!
    Now you are making me suffer LOL
    I have been checking on my order through the system76 online.
    Hopefully all the snow we got will be melted so UPS person can
    zoom to my house and deliver it....Can't wait!
    I will let everyone know what I think of it, and will
    use my camera to do a reivew.

Cheers
    Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Let us know where the review is posted. Carl, our president loves to know what people are thinking about our products, and there aren't too many Ratel reviews out there.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Hi,
    My Ratel arrived today.
    Woohoo...but..a slight hickup.

There is one slight issue and it is a small teeny weeny itssy bitssy issue.

01. There was no manual that came with the Ratel.

Not a problem but still for people who aren't familier with the hardware of the PC's and what plugs into goes where etc. etc. it can get confusing for some, even though I have been working in the IT feild for some time I too find it sometimes confusing with all the plugs and such.

Perhaps you could create a manual, print it out and put it in the box this I think would be great idea, or have an online version that is sent with your purchase order.

02. Now this is where I really wanna Cry I got it all set up plugged in ready to go and I went to hook it into my flat screen monitor and oops.
    No normal RGB port?
    Or DVI...just usb if not mistaken and a funky looking newer port of some sort (maybe newer DVI)?.

Now the problem is the monitor a Samsung SyncMaster t200 (A great monitor) and has no usb..Ugggg!

It does have DVI but it doesn't seem compatible with the port on the PC
    So any sugestions aside from buying a new flat screen for this would be greatly appriciated?

03. I have 3 antenas for the WIFI card.
    Sorry for sounding stupid but do I need to attach all three to the card on the Ratel PC?

Aside from the above the Ratel PC was very well packed in a bigger box with plenty of protection, the second box that contained the Ratel inside the bigger box was again well packed.

Once unwrapped form the plastic and foam packing, the Box itself is beautiful, the case is small and it is light and the black brush steel looks great.

I did take some pictures of the box before I opened it and after as I removed the PC.

Later on I will write up a review once I get it going LOL
    hopefully soon.

Thanks
    Jeff

Beans

Update!

I now have my Ratel up and running, this box rocks!

So far the speed and the fact that it makes hardly any sound at allis fantastic.

Gnome looks beautiful and so far everything seems to work out of the box.
    Now comes the fun part adding apps etc., oh yeah I need to add some Codecs as well for my Expendables DVD to play, but that is fairley straight forward.

For my #02 item, not being able to connect to my Samsung monitor, I went to Future Shop and purchased a Dynex DVI yo VGA Adapter hooked it up and away I went. The speed of this machine is also impressive, it boots in a extremly short time.

F.Y.I.
    The adapter was around $25 Canadian dollars.
    Purchased at Future Shop
    Item name: Dynex DVI to VGA Adapter DX-D1114
    http://www.dynexproducts.com
    Made in China

So far I'm a very happy customer.
    Last edited by jr223; February 5th, 2011 at 08:19 PM.

Beans

OK. Now, after two years you've had plenty of time to find out its weakmesses. Is it still Ok or are you now wishing you had bought something faster/more robust/with fewer niggles?

Hope the former. Best wishes

Emkel