Thread: "Cross Compile" nvidia module in 10.10 with gcc 4.5 for 10.04

Beans

Question "Cross Compile" nvidia module in 10.10 with gcc 4.5 for 10.04

Hello Ubuntu community,

Wow, title sounds like I'm a mad man

Ultra-short description:
    How can I compile the nvidia module (to be able to use the Nvidia's blob), without having the card on the compiling system?

Long description:
    I use 10.04 Lucid and I'd like to use the kernel 2.6.37-12-lowlatency form the universe repository. Installation works fine except for the nvidia kernel module compilation via dkms. When I try to use install script from nvidia's homepage, it says that the kernel has been compiled using gcc-4.5 and I need the same version to compile the module.

So I've set up the build-essential environment inside a virtualbox with gcc 4.5. Of course the regular dkms compilation procedure for the nvidia module fails, since the virtualbox doesn't have an nvidia card

So the big question is, how can I compile the nvidia module inside the virtual machine for use in the host system?

Thank you for any help

EDIT
    P.S.: Just a short mention WHY I want to use that kernel. I need the kernel for some audio recording and a need a recent kernel, since I need support formy M-Audio Fast Track Pro
    Last edited by JackSchnippes; January 30th, 2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: additional info