Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Know any good Animation Software?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Know any good Animation Software?

Hi, i'm very interested in software for making animations, unfortunately, sometimes FOSS solutions aren't enough/good, other times commercial solution are good, but not supported for Linux and working them via Wine may prove to be a nightmare, i want to know if some of you know a good program for the making of animations, 2D preferably, saving you some effort to mention some programs, i'll list here the ones i have tested/used:

Pencil

Pros: Works as expected, has a timeline, custom frame rate and it's under constant development
    Cons: While easy panning/zoom with wheel mouse is becoming a standard, controls in pencil aren't that conventional, plus, has no tweening, vector layer is quite primitive and sometimes the tracing tools behave buggy on simple task such as brush color or size, even worst, is a nightmare for mouse-only users

Ktoon

Pros: A good program back in version 0.8, stood strong against other programs and was always a good option, it had the basics, drawing tools and timeline/exposure sheet, export options and things
    Cons: It's fate is unknown now, it might get commercial or something, and the current version is unstable.

Tupi

Pros: New and fresh fork of Ktoon, it has now Motion tween and the option for use SVG graphics, and minor improvements which are nice to see
    Cons: Very unstable, the basic tools for drawing and handling objects are inaccurate, is still beta.

Synfig Studio

Pros: Excellent quality, many ways to export an animation, nice effects and an interesting way to tweening.
    Cons: Most users complain of it's complexity, not my case as the Documentation is for that purpose, what is giving me headaches now is that is now unusable as the speed drops near to program freezing, no one knows/care/want to hear about the cause

Anime Studio

Pros: Very interesting tool, it was and still is good since the time it was called Moho, now it even has effects simulation
    Cons: Versions 5 and 6 were good, while version 7 is available for Mac and Win, there is no version for Linux last time i checked, also.. there is thigs little thing that annoy me about Win and Mac being better/more supported than the Linux one...
    Under Wine: I purchased version 7 for windows to use through Wine, is impressive and things but Wine itself can't take some native work for windows, making rendering the project crash the program, also with the use of the program the speed of the program itself starts to drop

Flash 8 (Wine)

Pros: I fell in love back in 2004 when for first time i used Macormedia Flash, and used it untill i changed to Linux, using it through Wine make it work decently well.
    Cons: Many little glitches in the user interface, Adobe versions don't install, and using flash in long projects make it slow.

GIMP

Pros: I have made little animation inside Gimp, each layer counts as frame, Gimp is an excelente piece for effects and creation of graphics itself, if someone build a timeline (Independent from the layers) for gimp let me know, that would make it perfect
    Cons: The more layers as frames you use, the more memory it takes, natively, GAP might help on exporting the animation and natively exporting to GIF is the only way to render an animation, also Gimp doesn't export layers as png, there is a plugin for that tho..

Creatoon (Wine)

Pros: Interesting Cutout animation program, went free for some unknown reason, it has an excelent control over objects.
    Cons: Some releases of Wine make it crash, some make it works flawlesly, and some updates leave it buggy... the program itself works well, but some changes in Wine itself may cause some problems.

Styckz (Wine)

Pros: A newest program for make stick animations, it has some fun options
    Cons: No further complains than it takes huge amounts of memory via Wine, and the eternal promise of a Linux version is still showing on their download page.

StickyPy

Pros: Can natively run in Linux as it is written in Python
    Cons: Usable and stable, but still...

mtPaint

Pros: Pixel art program (Hurray!!) which contains some nice features for the making of gifs
    Cons: Pretty much the same with GIMP, indeed, is better exporting gifs from GIMP.

Notes:

I didn't tested ToonBoom! and TvPaint, i know about their existence, but seems that these need higher requirements that the ones i have, also i'm not counting 3D editors because only Blender and K-3D are worth of use under Linux, there are some outdated programs that don't run anymore in new distros, or that are abandoned, unstable, no longer maintained or unexplainable unusable, here i list some minor programs that caught my attention but for different reason aren't good options:

Java Animation Studio
    Animata
    F4L
    ganim8
    Gnash

well.. hopping there are some new answer soon, greetings!
    Xubuntu!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Know any good Animation Software?

You can actually install Macromedia Flash 8 in ubuntu with wine and it works great. Unfortunately it is a paid software.
    But I see you have tried that
    Yo Way Yo.. Yo Way Yo, Hom Vah Ray, Yo Way Rah; Jerum Brunnen-G..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by H13N.H3N View Post
    Hi, i'm very interested in software for making animations, unfortunately, sometimes FOSS solutions aren't enough/good, other times commercial solution are good, but not supported for Linux and working them via Wine may prove to be a nightmare, i want to know if some of you know a good program for the making of animations, 2D preferably, saving you some effort to mention some programs, i'll list here the ones i have tested/used:
    There's also Plastic Animation Paper.
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prokoudine View Post
    Interesting option, the downside is that can't run:

Xubuntu!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Interesting option, the downside is that can't run:

You probably can't run Flash4Linux, or its successor either. (Since both were abandoned, even though they were going to be full ports of flash.)
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

:~$ acs create animation
    arkhart - former world for Arkrpg
    arkrpg - roleplaying kernel
    libarkrpg-dev - development headers for Arkrpg
    libarkrpg0c2a - shared libraries for Arkrpg
    epix1 - Create mathematically accurate line figures, plots and movies
    gimp-gap - The GIMP Animation Package
    k3d - 3D modeling and animation system
    onscripter - Visual novel games engine compatible to NScripter
    piespy - An IRC bot to visualize social networks
    python-gnuplot - A Python interface to the gnuplot plotting program
    shoes - tiny graphics and windowing toolkit using Ruby
    stopmotion - program for creating stop motion animations
    worlded - world editor for Arkrpg

k3d looks interesting,
    Some of its features are:
    - Record and play back interactive tutorials and macros.
    - Able to create and edit documents in multiple realtime OpenGL
    solid, shaded, texture-mapped views. You can even model, animate, and
    interact with animations while they play back.
    - Unlimited Undos/Redos.
    - Default output to Pixar Renderman Interface Bytestream (RIB) files.
    - K-3D documents are stored using a simple, flexible, easy-to-understand
    XML markup.
    - Scripting interface supports Python, with open API for other scripting
    languages.
    - Plugin support through its architecture in ANSI C++ and GTK+.
    Tag: implemented-in::c++, interface:11, role:rogram, scope::application, uitoolkit::gtk, use::editing, works-with::3dmodel, x11::application

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
    :~$ acs create animation
    arkhart - former world for Arkrpg
    arkrpg - roleplaying kernel
    libarkrpg-dev - development headers for Arkrpg
    libarkrpg0c2a - shared libraries for Arkrpg
    epix1 - Create mathematically accurate line figures, plots and movies
    gimp-gap - The GIMP Animation Package
    k3d - 3D modeling and animation system
    onscripter - Visual novel games engine compatible to NScripter
    piespy - An IRC bot to visualize social networks
    python-gnuplot - A Python interface to the gnuplot plotting program
    shoes - tiny graphics and windowing toolkit using Ruby
    stopmotion - program for creating stop motion animations
    worlded - world editor for Arkrpg

k3d looks interesting,
    Some of its features are:
    - Record and play back interactive tutorials and macros.
    - Able to create and edit documents in multiple realtime OpenGL
    solid, shaded, texture-mapped views. You can even model, animate, and
    interact with animations while they play back.
    - Unlimited Undos/Redos.
    - Default output to Pixar Renderman Interface Bytestream (RIB) files.
    - K-3D documents are stored using a simple, flexible, easy-to-understand
    XML markup.
    - Scripting interface supports Python, with open API for other scripting
    languages.
    - Plugin support through its architecture in ANSI C++ and GTK+.
    Tag: implemented-in::c++, interface:11, role:rogram, scope::application, uitoolkit::gtk, use::editing, works-with::3dmodel, x11::application
    Indeed i considered using the 3D suites as 2D animation projects, Blender can do pretty much what AnimeStudio does, i'm checking out the arkart, etc., thank you!, hope to see more suggestions
    Xubuntu!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Synfig studio is undoubtedly the best in this list. The last time I tried to install F4l, it had serious compilation problems.. Never could make it work though...
    Open Source softwares and hardwares are all about you. So, "FREE YOUR MIND!"
    Visioplanet Photography photoblog
    Visioplanet Photography tips and tricks
    Open Source: The future

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by xtremethegreat1 View Post
    Synfig studio is undoubtedly the best in this list. The last time I tried to install F4l, it had serious compilation problems.. Never could make it work though...
    That's because it was unfinished, and was abandoned for a newer project with more promise, which was also abandoned.

Neither of them will ever be completed.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Styckz (Wine)

Pros: A newest program for make stick animations, it has some fun options
    Cons: No further complains than it takes huge amounts of memory via Wine, and the eternal promise of a Linux version is still showing on their download page.
    FWIW, the author of Stykz, Ken Ray, is a very good friend of mine. I know he's been working on the Linux version - I'll check in with him and see if I can get a status update on that for you.

EDIT: I just heard back from Ken, and he says that he's ironing out some performance issues on Windows and OS X, after which he'll be focusing on the Linux version.
    Last edited by rg4w; February 15th, 2011 at 07:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast