Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brother HL-2270DW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Brother HL-2270DW

Quote Originally Posted by walt.smith1960 View Post
    I have 2 networked Brother printers. I've had the best success assigning static I.P. addresses to the printers. In the "device URI" box I enter "socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100" That has worked most reliably for me. Brother does seem to make their instructions more complex than necessary. On the other hand Brother does offer better Linux support than every manufacturer except Hewlett Packard in my opinion.
    +1 with the static IP address. That's what I have done with my printer (also a Brother, not that it should matter what type) and haven't had any problems with it.

Brother are great for providing drivers, but their website is incredibly confusing.
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I agree, Brother's web site isn't the most easily navigated ever. I did make one pleasant discovery with my MFC-7820N. When printing multiple pages using FooMatic or BRscript drivers, there was about 20-30 seconds between pages. I installed the CUPS driver from Synaptic then selected it in printer properties. MUCH faster. I don't know if this is true of the HL series printers or not.

Beans
    Distro

I have Ubuntu 11.4 so this may explain why it hasn't worked for me. I have the drivers installed,
    Code:
    ii  brhl2170wlpr                          2.0.2-1                                    Brother HL-2170W LPR driver
    ii  cupswrapperhl2270dw                   2.0.4-2                                    Brother HL2270DW CUPS wrapper driver
    ii  hl2270dwlpr                           2.1.0-1                                    Brother HL-2270DW LPR driver
    but when i go into the printing interface, my HL2270DW doesn't show up. this is whether the printer is plugged in via network cable or not.

I'm quite new to linux, so any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by riskylemonz View Post
    I have Ubuntu 11.4 so this may explain why it hasn't worked for me. I have the drivers installed,
    Code:
    ii  brhl2170wlpr                          2.0.2-1                                    Brother HL-2170W LPR driver
    ii  cupswrapperhl2270dw                   2.0.4-2                                    Brother HL2270DW CUPS wrapper driver
    ii  hl2270dwlpr                           2.1.0-1                                    Brother HL-2270DW LPR driver
    but when i go into the printing interface, my HL2270DW doesn't show up. this is whether the printer is plugged in via network cable or not.

I'm quite new to linux, so any help would be appreciated.
    The LPR driver showing above is for the 2170 not the 2270. Don't if this is the issue but it looks odd.

Mike
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384

Beans
    Distro

hm. didn't notice that.

is there an easy way to uninstall it? i suppose there would be a terminal command, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Url:
    http://localhost:631/printers
    that should bring you to your printers to delete add modify and such.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans
    Distro

there aren't any printers showing up here. would that mean the drivers aren't installed properly?

would it be easier to connect the printer to a Linksys WRT54G and access it that way? or would that be more problematic?

Beans

I'm a complete Noob hee trying to install Brother HL-2270DW. I have Ubuntu 11.10. I'm not sure if I have the driver installed, and what other steps there are to install the printer.

Please let me know if you can help
    thx

This is how far I've got. I don't understand it

Code:
    dpkg  -l  |  grep  Brother
    ii  ptouch-driver                          1.3-0ubuntu11                           CUPS/Foomatic driver for Brother P-touch label printers

Beans

Re: Brother HL-2270DW solution guartneed to work

welcome to ubuntu i personally use mint but i used to use ubuntu

1 go to http://localhost631

2 add printer

3 get your netowrk ip address by pushing the go button on the printer 3 times the third page 1/4 way down will show your ip address

4 add printer according to ipp adress

5 copy and paste ip for lpd://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

6 add ppd file (i will attach once i get home)

7 add printer

8 name printer

9 click add printer

if you need more help you can email this message and i will make a youtube video and send you the link i am very fast at responding

unlike others I KNOW 100% THIS WAY WORKS!!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by legatolemans View Post
    I'm a complete Noob hee trying to install Brother HL-2270DW. I have Ubuntu 11.10. I'm not sure if I have the driver installed, and what other steps there are to install the printer.

Please let me know if you can help
    thx

This is how far I've got. I don't understand it

Code:
    dpkg  -l  |  grep  Brother
    ii  ptouch-driver                          1.3-0ubuntu11                           CUPS/Foomatic driver for Brother P-touch label printers
    doesnt work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12