Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brother HL-2270DW

Beans

Brother HL-2270DW

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install the drivers of this printer without success. I am a newb at ubuntu so I am trying ways outside the terminal. That is, I tried using the add printer function in the printing menu in administration. It gives me a nice list of printers for which drivers are available but not for my model which I believe is quite new. At least the network picks up the printer though since it is already installed on a few computers in this house. (It is not hooked up to any of the computers, it is standing alone on the wifi).

I went to the brother website to look at the drivers and there I can download LPR and CUPS drivers but I have no idea what these are. They both come in two forms, either RPM or DEB. I clicked on the LPR deb one and was able to install it because the software centre popped up and I just had to click. The CUPS doesn't install however. I click install and at after the progress bar has finished it doesn't say that the driver is installed.

I made the two following steps before starting:

1. "sudo aa-complain cupsd" command is required before the installation.
    2. "sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model"
    command is required before the installation.

I understand it is to give me administrator access, however I really don't know what cups or lpr is (do I need to retype these if I restart my computer?). The second is to creatre a directory but I don't know why. I don't think I am too far from getting this complete since the printer is seen on the network, but I need a little help, for which I would be very thankful!

Have a good weekend,

David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Brother HL-2270DW

I just installed my brother printer this morning so I'll try to help you.

open up a terminal and type or paste in the following command:

Code:
    dpkg  -l  |  grep  Brother
    and post the output. the command checks to see if the driver(s) are installed

the output on my computer shows this, yours will be a little different

ii mfc295cncupswrapper 1.1.2-2 Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
    ii mfc295cnlpr 1.1.2-1 Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
    Last edited by Girya; January 30th, 2011 at 01:21 AM.

Beans

this is what I get as output:

Code:
    ii  cupswrapperhl2270dw                   2.0.4-2                              
               Brother HL2270DW CUPS wrapper driver
    ii  hl2270dwlpr                           2.1.0-1                               
               Brother HL-2270DW LPR driver
    I have ubuntu 10.10 by the way. I just upgraded by 10.04 which I found rather buggy but that is another matter of its own...
    Last edited by camelface; January 30th, 2011 at 01:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

so the drivers are installed, that's good.

you should be able to find the printer through the system>Administration>printing interface. Reboot your computer and then see if you can find it. in the printing dialog.

open it up and press the add button. assuming you want to add a networked printer as opposed to one connected locally by a usb cable click on "Network Printer". if your printer is there highlight it and follow the instructions to add it. post back your results.

Beans

Hey Girya, thank you very much for your help. It worked! When I went back in the printing dialog, the drivers were added in the list. I just had to click a few things and I was done.

For future reference, what are deb and rpm? is deb a file-type conversion for rpm that works in graphical interface?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

.deb and .rpm are files for different linux distros package management. deb is for debian derivatives(like ubuntu) that use dpkg package management and rpm is for Red Hat and its derivatives.

check out some bash terminal tutorials. while learning the terminal can be incredibly frustrating, at least for a caveman like me, the terminal is way better for many things, like ripping dvds(mencoder), email(mutt), manipulating files (copy and moving batches of files) listening to music (cmus) searching (grep and find).

good luck and I was happy to be of some help.

Beans

Hey guys, my printer has been going well with ubuntu and every other windows computer in the house until a few days ago:

I printed a document, and saw the day after that it did not print the whole thing. I go to see the printer and it seems to have been paused with the light flashing. I pressed "Go" twice and it resumed printing but it did not print the whole thing.

Since then, I have printed with Windows computers without problems. Whenever my ubuntu computer gets a printjob it remains pending forever. When I look at the printing window, it now says that the printer cannot be located (see attachment).

I find this puzzling as my other computer locate it perfectly and I have network access on the ubuntu computer otherwise. It evens lists my printer in the search network printer function. I just wanted to post this before I delete the printer and reinstall it. I'd like to know what is wrong...

Thanks guys

EDIT: REINSTALLED AND IT WORKS. THREAD MARKED AS SOLVED.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by camelface; February 11th, 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have 2 networked Brother printers. I've had the best success assigning static I.P. addresses to the printers. In the "device URI" box I enter "socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100" That has worked most reliably for me. Brother does seem to make their instructions more complex than necessary. On the other hand Brother does offer better Linux support than every manufacturer except Hewlett Packard in my opinion.

Beans

Has anyone been able to attach to this printer via the wireless feature. I'm not sure how to assign an IP address so I don't know if I can force the connection. I am using FIOS router. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by sbrandon View Post
    Has anyone been able to attach to this printer via the wireless feature. I'm not sure how to assign an IP address so I don't know if I can force the connection. I am using FIOS router. Thanks
    I don't have this machine but have you looked at this?

http://www.brother-usa.com/ModelDocu...DW_EN_2639.PDF

The first few pages are Windows/Mac stuff but it looks like starting about page 28 you can print out the machine's network info then log into the web interface and tweak things as you desire.

It looks like BRAdminlight is available for Linux as well if you want to try that:
    http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...tion_bra1.html

I hope you find this of some use.

p.s. you'd need a network connection to be able to log onto the web administration page. Catch22--you don't have a network connection. Try plugging a network cable in temporarily?
    Last edited by walt.smith1960; February 21st, 2011 at 08:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast