Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Beans

Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Heyhey, after a long time i am back with Ubuntu 12.04 64bit.

The Fn-F7 (Display off / Backlight off) and Fn-F9 (Taskmanager) keys are without a function. Is it normal? Jupiter + Eee support is installed (like your instructions).

I remember that they worked in Ubuntu 11.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomumbo View Post
    Thats exactly what I did.
    Strange. Can you post the output of
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*eee*.list
    The Fn-F7 (Display off / Backlight off) and Fn-F9 (Taskmanager) keys are without a function.
    FN-F9 can be mapped via keyboard shortcuts to gnome-system-monitor. Same for FN-F7 but you might need to write yourself a proper xrandr script.
    Ubuntu for the EeePC-1015PN

Beans

Okidoki, i've made a keyboard shortcut to gnome-system-monitor and it works.

But the xrandr script for display off is too much for me

Thx mtron.

P.S. Nice touchpad bug...Pressing Fn-F3 twice works for me.

Beans

I've had to reinstall my system because I ****** up my bootloader and tried everything again, now I'm getting:

W: failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/mtron/eee10...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Trying to install eee1015pn-acpitools still gives me:

E: Couldn't find package eee1015pn-acpitools

Running cat gives me:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mtron/eee1015pn/ubuntu lucid main

Thanks for your help mate

Beans
    Distro

lucid is not supported.

Only oneiric and precise based distributions are.

Beans

Ah... looks like the problem was found. Bodhi will be updated to 12.04 withing the next few weeks, I guess I'll try again then

Anyway, thanks for your great work mtron, I really hate Nvidia optimus, because it nevers works, not on Windows and not on Linux either, I even wish my 1015pn didn't even have a Nvidia-graphics card, but only the intel Gma... So thank god there are people like you, fixing this kind of stuff, thanks a lot man

Beans

Hey there, anybody here using an external monitor with the 1015PN an also experiencing problems?

I updated everything yesterday and now after the next boot ubuntu does not recognize my external monitor anymore. Already at GRUB only the laptop display is working, so xrandr also only shows me the laptop display.

I am asking here as I feel it might be something specific to the 1015PN and also the tools from the PPA to get optimus working were updated yesterday with everything else, so I wondered if there is a connection.

edit:
    Just checked the vga selector tool (should have done that earlier, I know) and it was set to NVIDIA mode even though I always have set it to optimus and never change the mode. So I though I just switch everything back to how I used to have it (auto power down for NVIDIA card was also on even though I had it off before) but after what felt like a gazillion reboots I can now say that somehow the vga selector only lets me stay in NVIDIA mode.
    Neither Intel nor optimus mode work anymore, no matter what I have selected as default boot option. Somehow I feel like the last time I booted into NVIDIA mode my external display also did not work, but since I only did that once I am not quite sure. So maybe that is where my problem is... why can't I switch into optimus or even Intel mode anymore? Anybody else having these problems?

edit2:
    Allright, solved it. First I activated the acpi_call.log file option, then checked after reboot for errors, got this one:

ERROR: Could not load /lib/modules/3.2.0-25-generic-pae/updates/dkms/acpi_call.ko Please rebuild the kernel module

And thats what I did, reinstalled acpi-call-dkms and then everything worked fine again. I thought the dkms part is there so I actually do not have to rebuild it with updating the kernel (not sure if that was the problem though)? Anyways, everything works as it used to, problem solved.
    Last edited by areUKEidding; June 15th, 2012 at 08:46 PM.

Beans

Ok, after I did everything I mentioned in the post above I am left with a more ridiculous problem. Both displays work fine in GRUB, while booting and at the login.
    But as soon as I am logged in and see the desktop, my external one is switched off and I only have the laptop display. I can switch the external monitor on in the display settings, but it switches off everytime I log in. How can I set permanently that both displays are on when I enter the desktop environment? It works at all times before.

Beans
    Distro

In what mode are you running? (intel exclusive, nvidia exclusive or optimus?

the external vga connector is wired to the intel gma 3150 and nvidia gt 218 but the hdmi port is wired to the nvidia gpu only. if you want to change the config for nvidia exclusive mode use the nvidia-settings program to configure the screens (i use seperate x screens, but if you want use twinview to drag & drop the windows from one monitor to the other)

Then, click on save x configuration file, select 'merge with existing xorg.conf' and put the new nvidia configuration to
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.asus1015pn.nvidia

the script copies the fitting xorg.conf (either /etc/X11/xorg.conf.asus1015pn.nvidia or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.asus1015pn.intel) automatically to /etc/X11/xorg.conf during boot. Which one it chooses depens on the available gpu's). that's why your custom edit to xorg.conf is lost.

Beans

I am running in optimus mode, did not try pure intel yet but will do that on one of the next reboots. My external monitor is hooked up through the VGA port. So nvidia-settings does not work for me.

Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast