Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

The debs and scripts in this thread are written for the Asus EeePC 1015PN.

No other Models of the EeePC are supported and i don't intend to extend the support for more Laptops.

Please open new threads for your problems because they have nothing to do with the subject.
    Last edited by mtron; April 4th, 2011 at 09:49 AM.

Beans

Hi mtron.

You have done some great work! I updated my first message, which includes now a note with a link to your recent development (message #61). I hope that the people drop onto this message at once.

Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marcussive View Post
    hi, I am new to linux. I have an Asus N53J and have tried to install/run these scripts. when I run the script from the command line with 'status' argument:
    Code:
       sudo display-settings status
    the output is: No useable output found.

Please help. THanks,
    Crag
    As mtron says, the scripts published in this thread are only for the Asus Eee PC 1015PN.

What concerns the VGA and HDMI output of Nvidia graphic cards, the program 'disper' can be used. On my 1015PN, it works perfectly!

http://willem.engen.nl/projects/disper/

Beans
    Distro

thanks for getting into the hdmi stuff barthus! As soon as i get my hands on a hdmi display device i will give disper a try.

i have received some positive feedback from users so the vga switching scripts seem to work pretty reliable

Beans

Thanks!!
    Perfect on Maverick, but dual gpu is not working on Natty.

Beans
    Distro

dual gpu is not working on Natty
    No time to testdrive natty just now, sorry I'll give it a go next week.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mtron View Post
    No time to testdrive natty just now, sorry I'll give it a go next week.
    Funny ...

Beans

Ah, finally, I found some time for some small talk ... :

The last weeks I saw a couple of net-books and most of them were running Windows 7 Starter and all this kind of stuff.
    I always need to grin since with Windows the net-books are sooooo awful slow: Lame ducks!

In comparison Linux/Ubuntu Maverick on the PN1015 is sooo fast.

VGA or HDMI and disper: I gave already some talks by using Oo and a video projector, it is simply a pleasure! Colleagues always wonder why Linux on this machine is so fast and why it has no problems with a video projector.

So you all change to Unity? Or do you stay with the GNOME shell?

Beans

Thanks barthus and mtron for all your work. I've been trying to set up my new 10105PN with the debs from mtron and it seems to be failing. I've followed mtron's instructions each time, but end up in the same place each time with the nvidia option not working. Here's what I've done and where things end up:

-install ubuntu desktop x64 and all updates
    -install the latest nvidia driver from x-swat (everything's good and the nvidia driver is used)
    -blacklist the nouveau and nv drivers
    -install acpicall-dkms_0.1_all.deb (modprobe reports loaded successfully)
    -install acpitools_0.2_all.deb

When I select to restart with nvidia, I reboot, check the status using display-settings and it tells me the Intel chip is in use and the output of lspci doesn't show any nvidia chipset at all. (Of course, the Additional Drivers GUI doesn't show any nvidia option either and the nvidia settings won't start up). Same if I use the optimus option.

The xorg.conf.nvidia and xorg.conf.intel files are created. When I try the manual method, same result.

Is there some step I'm missing? Is there still an issue with using the newest kernel (2.6.35-28)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro

Are you using an encrypted homedrive / totally encrypted system? The gui script won't work then.

If only the intel vga is active and visible via lspci it means that the switching by itself works but the auto triggered shutdown script can't find any useable .vga-selector file in your homedir and thus defaults to intel only mode to save power.

If you want to use nvidia instead of intel as default vga you just need to change 1 line in the display-settigns script.

So to resolve your issue try the following:
    - do a normal boot and run "sudo display-settings reboot-nvidia" from a terminal & reboot . This should enable the nvidia chip with all the needed settings for the next boot.

- if this won't do it, uninstall the acpitools deb, and run the manual instructions for enabling nvidia from the wiki ( I called it "Mode 2" there)

I could make a version that writes the temporary file to /tmp instead of $HOME but this is strongly discouraged by all the Linux gurus i talked to. (reason is that this is a security risk...)

Or if anyone has a better solution for this problem please don't hesitate to enlighten me
    Last edited by mtron; April 7th, 2011 at 12:02 PM.

Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast