Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Beans

Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

I didn't encrypt my home folder specifically to make sure that wouldn't cause a problem. I was messing with things myself. Thought maybe creating an xorg.conf file before installing the debs (after a clean install) would help, but no change.

After installing the debs and trying a reboot selecting nvidia (both with the GUI and with the CLI), I did find a .vga-selector file in my home director. It just had the word "nvidia" in it and nothing else. But, dispaly-settings status still said "Intel" and lscpi showed no nvidia.

So, I uninstalled the acpitools deb and tried the manual method. That worked and it booted using the nvidia chip (showed nvidia splash screen and nvidia shows in lspci).

So, what could be the difference in error between the acpitools and the manual method? I'm wondering if it's a symlink or something that's off or a missing file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

yes most probably it's a missind / invalid symlink. though the postinstall script should take care of creating these...

so let's check everything is in place . Please undo all of your changes. before proceeding and after this re-install the acpitools deb and check that the following files exist:

- /usr/local/bin/display-settings: main script
    - /etc/X11/xorg.conf.intel
    - /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia
    - /usr/local/bin/vga-selector-gui: the gui script to select the vga card
    - /etc/init.d/vga-selector: the shutdown script that triggers the vga selection

and following symlinks should exist and point to /etc/init.d/vga-selector
    /etc/rc0.d/K10vga
    /etc/rc6.d/K10vga

Also remove any existing /etc/X11.xorg.conf file before installing the acpitools package.

Now call the gui scipt, select nvidia press ok but don't shutdown. Check that $HOME/.vga-selector exists and has the word "nvidia" in it. If it still does not work we need to do a in-deph debugging. I'll prepare a special version of the script with debugging output to see where it is failing in your case.
    Last edited by mtron; April 8th, 2011 at 03:22 PM.

Beans

Thanks once again, mtron.

I ended up reformatting and reinstalling -- for some reason removing the acpitools and trying to reinstall it caused an error and then the package became messed up and I couldn't reinstall or remove without errors.

Anyway, after reinstalling and installing the nvidia x-swat driver, I installed acpicall (it loads without error, by the way) and then acpitools. All of the files are there (and no xorg.conf file even after installation of acpitools) and selecting nvidia from the GUI created the .vga_selector file in $HOME and it said 'nvidia.' Then, I rebooted, checked display-settings status and it says the Intel chip is being used. And even after reboot, .vga-selector is still in $HOME and still says nvidia.

To see again what the error was in uninstalling acpitools, I unistalled it again (using --purge). Interestingly, it says both /etc/rc0.d/K10vga and /etc/rc6.d/K10vga cannot be removed because they don't exist ("No such file or directory"). It also says it can't remove /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.intel or /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.nvidia because they don't exist.

A reboot after that dropped into terminal, but deleting xorg.conf fixed that and both chips appear in lspci.

A reinstall of acpitools repeated the message that libglx.so cannot be found, so I re-activated the nvidia binary driver. After rebooting (and being on the Intel chip), I looked again at all the files and they are there (as well as an xorg.conf file configured for intel). I decided to look at the driver files that were noted as missing during removal and installation of acpitools and found that the symlink /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so exists, but is broken (it wants to point to libglx.so.intel, but that's not there and neither is libglx.so.nvidia). The only actual libglx.so file in the system is /usr/lib/nvidia/current/xorg/libglx.so.270.29 (the x-swat driver).

Since the manual method works and the difference I see between that and acpitools is where the symlink points to the driver, it crossed my mind last night that the issue could be that the symlink acpitools creates doesn't point to the installed nvidia video driver. After seeing the missing files in removal and reinstall, tonight, I tried creating a symlink of libglx.so.nvidia to libglx.so.270.29 and even manually recreating the libglx.so symlink to point at libglx.so.nvidia, but it didn't help - on reboot, libglx.so still tries to point at libglx.so.intel (even though .vga-selector still says nvidia). Still, maybe that is starting to hint at the issue?

Beans
    Distro

ok, let's debug this better.

Do you have skype or prefer IRC? chat is much more efficient for this.

I'm in GMT+2 and today or tomorrow evening is cool for me. please drop me a pm when you have time to do this.

Beans

Maybe a bit off topic off topic, but I have used my pc to run the xbmc. The xbmc is you is probably unrelated to the tweak in this thread, but Im just wondering if you guys have seen high temperatures as well?

Beans

Hi guys, this can work on my asus k52jc with nvidia optimus??

Beans
    Distro

no. 1015PN only

Beans

Hi and thanks for your reply

can you tell me why can not it work with my laptop?

Sorry for my english

Beans
    Distro

the used acpi_calls to switch gpu's are hardware specific for this laptop ONLY.

They were reverse-engineered by Raphael Metzler from a Windows-only Binary Program by Asus called "Graphics Switching Utility for EeePC 1015PN"

So this is no general fix for the non-working Optimus Technology on Linux systems!

It's a (dirty?) hack that makes basic GPU switching via Reboot work for one model (namely the 1015pn) where we have a useable hardware design, and the needed acpi calls are already known.

To make this work on your laptop i would need:

- clarification on the hardware design of your laptop. is the nvidia chip able to draw to the display device directly or does it need a intel framebuffer like most other Optimus laptops do?

- reverse-engineer the needed acpi calls to switch GPU's. This can either be done by looking into the Asus windows binary or dump your laptop's DSDT.dsl information and try the calls in there. (usually there are 100 of them...)
    Last edited by mtron; April 13th, 2011 at 12:03 PM.

Beans

Ok man..i have understand. Seems that there is no solution for my laptop...unfortunately

Thanks anyway

p.s. first time i have test the solution for 1015PN on my ubuntu 10.04 64bit, and on the next reboot i have black screen, This may be interesting?

Maybe the switch works? I do not have all the correct paths in the scrit when i have make it
    Last edited by fiox; April 13th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast