Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Beans

Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Ok, now it's all clear... but I'm still undecided!
    Thx for the help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mtron View Post
    Runtime on maverick with a full battery charge and Intel GPU: 6h
    Runtime on maverick with a full battery charge and Nvidia GPU: 4h
    Runtime on natty with a full battery charge and Intel GPU: 4h
    Runtime on natty with a full battery charge and Nvidia GPU: <not tested>
    So, natty is using indeed more power!

BTW: Are these values for the idle state? When I work with the intel (surfing, writing, copying, etc) I have 4 hours.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

I tried to install 11.04 some time after Mtrons modifications to 10.10 and it broke my installation

Only able to start up in FailsafeX mode.

Installed acpitools_0.3_all.deb to fix it with no luck. Just get to the place where the startup log states "Checking battery state...." and the the boot process stops?

Properbly because it is unable to start the GUI shell.

Any hints about how to fix my installation without a complete new installation?

Also tried display-settings fix etc.

Thank you in advance
    Benny

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

look at this guys:

http://www.martin-juhl.dk/2011/05/op...roblem-solved/

seems we are very close to a real solution for Optimus on linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hey there,

so I installed everything as described and a couple of days back I found that the nVidia-card was active. I didn't really mind since I didn't need the battery.

Today I wanted to connect my eee to my TV and as it turned out, my Intel-chip was running (checked via the script from mtron). I wanted to switch to nvidia with the given command but it didn't work:

Code:
    asche@sweet1015:~$ sudo display-settings statusActive GPU: Intel GMA3150 on PCI 00:02.0

asche@sweet1015:~$ sudo display-settings reboot-nvidia
    update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/GL.conf (gl_conf) in manual mode.
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1 because associated file /usr/lib32/nvidia-current/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1 (of link group gl_conf) doesn't exist.
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libvdpau_nvidia.so because associated file /usr/lib32/nvidia-current/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so (of link group gl_conf) doesn't exist.
    I rebootet anyway but as expected the Intel-chip was still active. My nVidia-drivers are up to date (checked).
    The TV isn't detected via the HDMI. I assume that the Intel-chip isn't capable to do it? Otherwise it's another issue, for now, I'd like to know about the problem above (however, I'd appreciate tips regarding the TV, too).

I use Natty.

Thanks a lot!

Klaster

EDIT: I saw mtron's post #80 and use the home-folder encryption myself: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=80
    I obviously tried the Terminal-thing (the VGA-selector isn't shown in my system settings).By changing the first line of the script, would I change the boot preference? Is there any other option or do I have to change the script every time I want to change card?
    Last edited by Klaster; May 5th, 2011 at 07:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You're not alone there are now some people reporting problems with natty. I think that the 0.3 version of the switcher script might have a problem. i'll check it tomorrow. Thanks for the hint.

Please remove the acpicall deb & the xorg.conf
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge acpicall
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and reinstall the xorg & nvidia packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-current
    sudo nvidia-xconfig

Now try rebooting (min. twice!) and see if the nvidia chip is active again. If so try the manual method on the wiki or barthus switcher script from the first post. Does it work with one of those?
    Last edited by mtron; May 5th, 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I found the VGA selector (with Gnome and now also with Unity) and apparently the switching works perfectly fine with the GUI. However, the terminal command still shows the same error.

Thanks again for your work, mtron! I really do appreciate it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Klaster View Post
    I found the VGA selector (with Gnome and now also with Unity) and apparently the switching works perfectly fine with the GUI. However, the terminal command still shows the same error.

Thanks again for your work, mtron! I really do appreciate it!
    Unfortunately it didn't work for me with the GUI. when looking at the lspci -l, I don't see nVidia listed. I'm likely going to stick with the Intel chip for now since it increased my battery life by a couple of hours, but it would be nice to be able to switch using a GUI.

Thanks to mtron too!

Beans

I updated the first page. It says now more clearly that things still need some time with Natty.

Cheers.

PS: We have 128 contributions in this thread and amazing 15,158 visitors, which shows that our discussions are of importance.
    Last edited by barthus; May 8th, 2011 at 08:00 PM.

Beans

I just wanted to thank mtron for taking the time to personally try to debug some of the graphic switching problems in natty I was having. Hopefully, it was of some help for you mtron.

In summary, I still can't get nvidia to load after installing the acpicall on natty, and I would get a strange pixilated screen after grub.

I reverted back to 10.10 and it's working perfectly. I hope we can get natty working well, as I actually kind of started to like unity, and it would be nice to get natty flowing smoothly.

Is there a way to make booting into optimus with powersave the default login? I usually want more battery life over performance.

Annother question: in maverick I can perfectly choose between graphics cards. However, I can't for the life of me get the hdmi to external monitor to work. Sometimes nvidia detects my samsung plasma and other times it doesn't. Anyone having similar problems?

PS. How many people prefer unity's dash to gnome-do. I like the concept and layout of the dash (though the lack of customization irks me), but gnome-do seems faster and far more applicable while accomplishing the same tasks.

Am I just clueless about the true power of unity's dash?
    Last edited by KyleHyde; May 9th, 2011 at 09:27 AM.

Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast