Thread: Does Startup Disk Creator save settings and files?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Does Startup Disk Creator save settings and files?

I can't remember if the Startup Disk Creator in Ubuntu creates a LiveDisk that saves settings, files and installed apps. If it does, great! If it doesn't, can someone point me to a utility that will do this? Thanks.
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Does Startup Disk Creator save settings and files?

Looking at the Startup disk creator's Help file, section "Requirements" its states quote:

The USB drive capacity should minimally be large enough to hold the
    contents of the Ubuntu download image and any additional data you
    plan to store. The minimum recommendation is 1 GB, however 2 GB is suggested.
    Doesn't say anything specifically about saving settings, just data.
    Anyone with SDC experience?
    -JD

The thing I love about experience is that it's such an honest thing.

Beans
    Distro

I guess that about answers my question. I guess I should've looked a little harder. Thanks.
    Edit: The help file also lists Persistence as a feature.
    Last edited by zer010; January 29th, 2011 at 08:57 AM.
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

Perhaps I spoke too soon. I created a LiveUSB with the Startup Disk Creator but the two options at the bottom, 'allocate free space to save data' was not available. I booted up the liveUSB and started doing updates which seemed to go fine. Then I went to install the restricted extras and it said there wasn't enough space in /apt/cache(?). This is a 4GB flash drive by the way. I thought about installing straight from disk to the flash drive, but I read that /tmp will run up r/w cycles and could damage the flash drive......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by zer010 View Post
    Perhaps I spoke too soon. I created a LiveUSB with the Startup Disk Creator but the two options at the bottom, 'allocate free space to save data' was not available. I booted up the liveUSB and started doing updates which seemed to go fine. Then I went to install the restricted extras and it said there wasn't enough space in /apt/cache(?). This is a 4GB flash drive by the way. I thought about installing straight from disk to the flash drive, but I read that /tmp will run up r/w cycles and could damage the flash drive......
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Then you have to choose to "store in reserved extra space" (the casper file), this also saves your network settings, FF settings, etc ...
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by [Snc] View Post
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Then you have to choose to "store in reserved extra space" (the casper file), this also saves your network settings, FF settings, etc ...
    That's the thing, "store in reserved extra space" is not an option. It's all greyed out.