Thread: Screen Tearing

Beans

Question Screen Tearing

Over the years, screen tearing has been a major problem for me on Ubuntu and every time it seems to be fixed, at some point it will break again, seemingly randomly. There are a lot of tutorials around for fixing it but none of them work for me right now and they're certainly not user friendly.

I'm sure everyone will agree that screen tearing is awful. I can't abide it and I don't think that in this day and age it should actually ever be visible to users. So, I don't consider enabling VSync to be an act of customisation, I think it's more like having to find a workaround to a bug.

The only time you would want VSync off is if your machine is not powerful enough to get good framerates otherwise. Fair enough, you should be able to turn it off as easily as you can turn it on, but for me this is a setting that's so important that it should be in the Appearance Preferences menu alongside font anti-aliasing. (Edit: not literally beside it, I mean this setting is of a similar importance)

I want to never see screen tearing:
    • On the desktop, either Metacity or Compiz
    • In any game, unless it has a setting to turn it off for that game only
    • In any video player
    • In the flash plugin

I've tried enabling VSync in nvidia-settings, and in compiz-settings-manager, and whilst that used to work, recently it doesn't. I've tried different combinations of the settings and rolled back my graphics driver, all to no avail.

I've never seen this problem on Windows (classic or Aero) or OSX, so this is clearly an area that needs work.

What can be done? I'm eager to see this fixed for good but am I the only one who cares about it?
    Core i7 920 D0, 12GB RAM

Beans

Re: Screen Tearing

Still no luck with this at all
    Core i7 920 D0, 12GB RAM