Thread: Any experience with ext4 recovery? Latest kernel update ran amok.

Beans

Any experience with ext4 recovery? Latest kernel update ran amok.

After the latest 10.04 automatic update ( including kernel 2.6.28(?) ) I can no longer boot past grub. I wasn't too worried and planned a fresh install until I found my /home partition was toast as well. It is partially backed up, but I would like to recover it. It was around 150 gigs of ext4.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Any experience with ext4 recovery? Latest kernel update ran amok.

Don't do anything just yet. The 'unallocated' in Gparted doesn't necessarily mean that your partitions are lost. If there is an irregularity in the partition table, Gparted will do this. Boot up from the live CD and post the terminal output of:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Then we can see what's what.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Re: Any experience with ext4 recovery? Latest kernel update ran amok.

Thanks, but I used testdisk to rescue the handful of things I didn't want to lose. I think I will try a full reinstall anyway.

Considering it's a netbook, it has a basic Ubuntu install with very few packages and should be a breeze to reinstall from USB. The most difficult thing will be restoring the Evolution mail settings. No problem.

Also I'm wondering if the file system failure had nothing to do with the kernel update and may have been a symptom of more serious HD problems.