Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New AMD GPU Proprietary 'Catalyst' Driver Drops, v11.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New AMD GPU Proprietary 'Catalyst' Driver Drops, v11.1

If you're trying the full *deb compilation method* of installing AMD Catalyst 11.1 drivers and you come upon the missing ati-config command like I did, you may not actually have to rip out the driver from the command line in the same way.

I noticed that there is help on making ati-config work when doing a .deb-based install fails in the Unofficial AMD Linux Wiki:

Aticonfig not found after installation & "module does not exist" after boot

It sounds almost exactly like the problem I ran into... now I'm wondering if I should start over and if doing a deb-based install with this fix would be better...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Just to check - what card do you have? 5xxx or 6xxx series?
    A vivid and creative mind characterizes you.
    ATI Radeon HD6850, E7300 Core2duo, Asus P5Q

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeMahPC View Post
    Just to check - what card do you have? 5xxx or 6xxx series?
    It's a 5850. Unigine Heaven works at 20 fps on 1092x1080 standard settings, so I suspect Catalyst proper works. No video in Mplayer or PiTiVi or Openshot yet though and I've been fiddling with vaapi/xvba tars and debs for a couple of days now with no luck.
    Last edited by tehowe; January 28th, 2011 at 04:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tehowe View Post
    If you're trying the full *deb compilation method* of installing AMD Catalyst 11.1 drivers and you come upon the missing ati-config command like I did, you may not actually have to rip out the driver from the command line in the same way.

I noticed that there is help on making ati-config work when doing a .deb-based install fails in the Unofficial AMD Linux Wiki:

Aticonfig not found after installation & "module does not exist" after boot

It sounds almost exactly like the problem I ran into... now I'm wondering if I should start over and if doing a deb-based install with this fix would be better...
    Same thing happened to me - that advice on the wiki did not work.
    Hope we get a detailed guide soon - the wiki install procedure is not working for me!

Beans
    Distro

No luck for me!
    aticonfig --intitial
    "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected"

I'm going back to Windows - I will buy 7 later this week. I have spent hours researching this problem, trying different install methods and I had to reinstall Ubuntu x2 to get rid of all the ATI junk that could not be uninstalled.

Had enough - all for a simple driver. I can't see me trying Ubuntu again because by the time it's caught up in 2 years time (It took that long for my HD4670 to work properly) I will no doubt have a new graphics card that will also not work.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeMahPC View Post
    No luck for me!
    aticonfig --intitial
    "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected"

I'm going back to Windows - I will buy 7 later this week. I have spent hours researching this problem, trying different install methods and I had to reinstall Ubuntu x2 to get rid of all the ATI junk that could not be uninstalled.

Had enough - all for a simple driver. I can't see me trying Ubuntu again because by the time it's caught up in 2 years time (It took that long for my HD4670 to work properly) I will no doubt have a new graphics card that will also not work.
    Did you try just running ATI's *.run driver file at the command line? That's what seemed to work for me. Various 3D demos work fine now and flgrxinfo says things are fine, but 2D acceleration in eg; mplayer/totem and PiTiVi do not work - there is no video at all. I don't think that's the Catalyst driver's fault, however, because 2D depends on a thicket of competing standards and I haven't got the standard Gnome apps depend on (VA-API) installed correctly yet. But to your point, there's no simple user manual to get that part working, either.

I bought my 5850 because it's a workhorse GPU, and it's an older product. Hopefully it will 'just work' in 11.04 - apparently they're (they being our most excellent volunteer coding corps) furiously developing this open-source Gallium driver.

I've seen people posting about problems getting the NVIDIA equivalent, the GTX 470 or 480 working as well. So there's no point in swapping the card - I just have to wait, and work on the problem. I think you hit the nail on the head - video hardware is developing rapidly so the lag to get drivers translated becomes a bigger deal than, say, drivers for set standards like USB 2.0 or Bluetooth.

Beans

Code:
    brambi@brambi-ubuntu:/usr/lib/fglrx/bin$ ./aticonfig --initial -f
    Unable to open /etc/ati/control, please reinstall the driver.
    ./aticonfig: No supported adapters detected
    That's what i get when i'm following : http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...ivers_manually
    Last edited by br4mbi; February 6th, 2011 at 08:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

<sarcasm>
    glad to see that this issue has been resolved
    </sarcasm>

I am trying to get an AMD 6850 working and getting the same error "no supported adapters detected"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12