Thread: Strange error from Synaptic

Beans

Strange error from Synaptic

Hi

Every time I hit 'reload' in Synaptic, I get this error:

Failed to fetch https://private-ppa.launchpad.net/co...64/Packages.gz The requested URL returned error: 401
    Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

It's a bit odd. I don't particularly want to install Vendetta just now, but it would be nice to know what's causing this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Strange error from Synaptic

You added a repositry which requires authorization.. Seems to me its not a correct PPA repro.
    "Please choose a different password, the one you have chosen is in use by UID 1432"

Beans

Hi Justleen

Thanks for your response. I realised that the PPA URL has not come out properly in the forum, so here it is with the http missed out:

private-ppa.launchpad.net/commercial-ppa-uploaders/vendetta-online/ubuntu/dists/maverick/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz

I did not add this PPA myself, but I think it may have been installed by the Software Centre. I don't see it in the repo list in Synaptic, and I'd rather leave the 'for purchase' repos in place in case I need them later.

Any other suggestions?

Charlie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, re-add is. It wrong the way it is now, as far as I can tell (the package.gz shouldnt be there), and its definitly an https site asking for auth. 401 error is an auth error.
    "Please choose a different password, the one you have chosen is in use by UID 1432"

Beans

Right... so how do I go about re-adding the commercial repo?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How did you add it in the first place? I'm assuming its on the vendetta site?

Beans

No, that's the thing. I think it was added automatically by the Software Centre. If I had added it myself, I could figure this one out no problem!

Charlie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If it added it there automagicly, Im pretty sure you can remove it, and later it will be added again?

Beans

Well, I found the entry in the software sources labelled 'Added by Software Centre', and unticked it. The original Synaptic error has now gone.

However, if I try installing (as a test) Vendetta, I get the same error from the Software Centre.

Which is a bit strange.

Charlie