Thread: Xubuntu vs XFCE sessions

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Xubuntu vs XFCE sessions

Xubuntu x86 10.04

Aside from the Xubuntu session looking more flourishy and fancy, what differences are there between Xfce and Xubuntu sessions? I noticed the default browser for Xfce was midori...

I like the plain jane Xfce feel, is there any way I can default to that, or better yet, delete the Xubuntu settings entirely? Disk space is an priority, this is an inexpensive netbook sharing a HD with Windows 7...

http://www.photoshop.com/users/mattp...83309d3e0417c5

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Xubuntu vs XFCE sessions

Technically Xubuntu uses XFCE, but may have a different configuration vs the option "XFCE". So it's not that you would really free up any space, you could remove unnecessary programs you don't use. Really it only takes up 3.5GB at most for a default install.
    Dell XP 8700 - Windows 10 64-bit Fast Ring - i7 4790 8GB 1GB 250GB SSD 1TB HDD
    HP Stream 13 - elementary Loki 64-bit
    HP Envy M6 - Windows 10 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How about changing the default? I kinda thought it was no more than a "theme" - a few text config files, some desktop images and icons...

One fewer thing to do per login isn't a big deal on a desktop, but I have to log in to my laptop many times per day... I'll look around and post if I see anything, but if anyone knows offhand, please chime in

edit: Found it already.

To change default session, Applications>Settings>Login Screen

Should be the same for any Ubuntu with a GUI
    Last edited by aqua_scummm; January 27th, 2011 at 05:14 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aqua_scummm View Post
    Xubuntu x86 10.04

Aside from the Xubuntu session looking more flourishy and fancy, what differences are there between Xfce and Xubuntu sessions? I noticed the default browser for Xfce was midori...

I like the plain jane Xfce feel, is there any way I can default to that, or better yet, delete the Xubuntu settings entirely? Disk space is an priority, this is an inexpensive netbook sharing a HD with Windows 7...
    How to get a far more 'vanilla' XFce4 with ubuntu? Minimal install + Xfce4 on top.

There used to be a huge difference betwen xubuntu and a minimal install xfce4. AFAIK its not as bad as it used to be, but there is still a difference.