Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 x32 only boots with ACPI off

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10 x32 only boots with ACPI off

Hey, all,

Just installed Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit on my new Dell laptop. The computer's specs are:

Processor: AMD Athlon II P340 Dual-Core Processor
    Memory: 3.00 GB
    Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

The only way I can get the thing to boot is with the parameter acpi=off. This being a laptop, not having access to battery information is quite annoying. If I try and boot without it, after I make my GRUB selection it simply shows a blinking "_".

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,
    Ricky

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 x32 only boots with ACPI off

Are there graphics drivers to install...boot with ACPI off and then got to System -> Administration -> Additional drivers to see if there are any graphics ATI drivers to install
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans

Hey, Hippytaff, thank you for your quick reply. I did install the proprietary ATI driver, but this did not make a difference.

Ricky

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

does the driver appear when you do
    Code:
    lsmod
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans

It's 'fglxr' that I am looking for, correct? Yes, it is there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

and you've rebooted since installing it (obviously you have to discover that it's not working)

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling it!?
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hippytaff View Post
    and you've rebooted since installing it (obviously you have to discover that it's not working)
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippytaff View Post
    Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling it!?
    The driver or the OS? This is my third install of Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit via CD and had the same problem, then redownloaded it and verified the MD5 and installed via USB. I saw an Ubuntu User magazine for sale that came with Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit, so I bought it and gave it a whirl. This is why I am running the 32 bit OS. This is the first install where I've installed the graphics driver, though.

I am confused on one thing, though. This ACPI is a power management thingymabobber, yeh? So how does a graphics driver influence whether or not I can use ACPI?
    Last edited by BigRicky; January 23rd, 2011 at 10:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I meant reinstall the driver and good question...I'm afraid I'm fairly new to this too. The usual procedure is to choose to install proprietery drivers etc when you install the ubuntu, then these kind of things don't tend to crop up, but I really don't understand why the driver doesn't seem to be working
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans

So after reinstalling the driver in Ubuntu, it asks to reboot to finish the installation. This time around, however, I noticed that the installation wasn't completing because it would just hang and wouldn't boot up. My 'acpi=off' parameter didn't hold up over reboots and must be manually entered each boot. So I found out which file to edit so that this parameter can last, and it turns out it's the etc/default/grub file. I tried editing it through the GUI (where I and most other twenty-year-olds are most comfortable) but I didn't have permission. So I messed around in terminal until I found out what I needed to do was sudo vi. Great. All I know about vi is that it's some old programming interface that has probably been mostly used to write FORTRAN and some other archaic languages and that it's what my dad (a programmer at HP) uses because he is also old.

None-the-less I used vi to edit the GRUB file and successfully appended the parameters. (Which gave me a great sense of accomplishment.) I rebooted it and it loaded right up- I didn't have to manually specify the parameters! Yay! So I reinstalled the graphics driver, rebooted my machine, so the graphics driver should be fully installed now, yeh? Took out the parameter in vi, rebooted and got nothing. Still doesn't work. =(

So I really haven't the foggiest what to do now. I am most grateful for your assistance, though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

wow...your far more accomplished than me...I only use vi to edit the sudoers file and that's because I have to visudo...I tend to use nano...anyway it's very odd, and maybe there is a bug...did you check the launchpad bug site

I know linux has diffuclties with ati and Nvidia but these are fairly ironed out recently. Sounds like your dad would be better placed than me to help you out
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast