Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 x32 only boots with ACPI off

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 x32 only boots with ACPI off

I swear I'm not accomplished in the ways of vi at all! I had to look up the commands to use the darn thing, which it turns out aren't anywhere near intuitive. Thanks for the site reference; I looked in there but didn't find anything.

As to my dad, I once asked him if he knew much about Ubuntu when I was having some problem or other, and he asked what that was. When I told him it was the most popular distribution of Linux he asked if I was certain, because he had never heard of it and he thought that Red Hat was. Like I said, he's old. =P

Something just came to mind, though. I am in the US Air Force and stationed in England, and one of the attractions I had to buying this laptop here at the base exchange rather than buying one from back home for cheaper and having it shipped over was that this computer was advertised as "dual voltage." I thought that meant that it would come with two cables, one for the stateside-like prongs and one for the odd ones these chaps around here use for some reason. Alas, however, it only came with the US plug. Perhaps there's some sort of BIOS difference? Wouldn't that explain why a power management utility would go haywire? I'll try flashing the BIOS tomorrow evening, but it's nearly midnight here and I'm getting up at 0530 tomorrow, so evening, gents!

Beans

Sorry about the double post, the internet here in the dorms is complete ****. Turns out Javelin Broadband is bullocks, at least here. =/
    Last edited by BigRicky; January 24th, 2011 at 01:15 AM. Reason: double post

Beans

So I flashed my BIOS, which it turns out is much more difficult to do in Linux than Windows. (Used FreeDOS and Startup Disk Creator)

No effect. =(

I was messing around in my BIOS and it says it's compatible with ACPI, which seems quite understandable considering this is a new laptop and a not an ancient one. Anyone have any inkling as to why Ubuntu works only with ACPI disabled?

I really appreciate any input anyone can provide, even if it's just a hunch.

Many thanks,
    Ricky

Beans

Not even a hunch, just a trial-and-error idea: have you tried older and newer versions of Ubuntu? So:

(9.04)
    11.04 Alpha 1

They have different kernel versions, so that could change the ACPI stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    Not even a hunch, just a trial-and-error idea: have you tried older and newer versions of Ubuntu? So:

(9.04)
    11.04 Alpha 1

They have different kernel versions, so that could change the ACPI stuff.
    Good point, or you could just try installing older kernels - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

but it can go wonky, though an excellent learning experience!
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

acpi=off is quite drastic - have you tried any of the "kernel options" (search for common boot options) in this web-page?
    mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans

Hey, gents, thanks for all the replies. I tinkered around with the different boot parameters on the site provided by davidmohammed, and I found that the parameter 'pci=noacpi' also worked. I now have a power bar, which is most convenient. But my sound has disappeared... Is this coincidence? I tried looking up what the parameter does but couldn't get any information other than it has to do with IRQ stuff which doesn't mean anything to me. Am I best off just putting this boot parameter in permanently, or is there a solution that makes it so I don't need it?

Many thanks,
    Ricky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

some stuff on irqs here - it has a few more boot options to try.

Possibly you should have a closer look at what pci cards you have physically in your motherboard - maybe pull/rearrange the cards could help.
    mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans

Toshiba T235D S1360. Solved problem with pci=noacpi, and I still have sound and battery icon. I did just use update manager from 10.04, though. If you have sound problems (and no sound configurations are working), try that.

Beans

Hey, all, 'pci=noacpi' seems to be the magic argument. As to the sound, my last run in with Ubuntu was Hardy Heron and I believe in that one the sound icon could be individually meddled with, but this one is part of an indicator bar thing. Anywho, all is well, and I appreciate all your help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast