Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot find the autorun program & more!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cannot find the autorun program & more!

Hello - im trying to install the necessary drivers for a wireless USB adapter. I just recently managed to attach a CD drive to the computer as it didn't have one already. When i insert the installation CD the icon appears on the desktop but nothing happens. When I right click on the icon I tried selecting "Open with AutoRun Prompt," I next select "Run" but it gives me an error telling me that "Cannot find the autorun program."

Is this because the CD is meant for Windows computers? If so do i need to use 'Wine' to run the CD? Please note that this computer cannot connect to the internet until I run this CD.

One more thing when I tried running a DVD from the computer it needed to search for the DVD Source plugin. Is there anyway I can download it to USB and make the computer load it from the "Terminal?"

Cheers
    Perseverance is the only way to succeed in programming...and in life

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot find the autorun program & more!

It would probably help, if you told us what make/model wirless device you are trying to setup. In most cases, there is a driver for it included in the kernel, so you don't need windows only drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I understand what you want to do as I tried going down that road but it didn't help at all - I want to go with the CD option instead because the outcome of all the sudo & wotnot was that it could detect the wireless network, allow me to enter the password but still couldn't connect to the internet - and yes the network password was 100% correct!

So you can understand why I want to get the CD to work I hope.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro

This isn't Windows, you can't do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

:l Ubuntu has caused me more head aches than anything else.

But i though Wine could be used to read the Windows programs? Right or wrong?

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Katana24 View Post
    :l Ubuntu has caused me more head aches than anything else.

But i though Wine could be used to read the Windows programs? Right or wrong?
    Programs? Usually yes.. drivers? no.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Katana24, the learning curve is just as steep as when you first started using windows, but your windows knowledge doesn't help here.

If you give us the details, I'm sure we can help you get wireless working properly

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello there,

First of all, I'd strongly recommend to start reading this: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Once you're done, you'll understand that this is totally a different world.

Now, if you really want us to help you, you have to cooperate with us. How could we help if you previously decided that whatever we'll write here is not helpful?

Finally, Windows has caused me a great headache for 10 years more than Linux (Ubuntu) caused in few months.

Beans

Hi. I'm new here and new to Ubuntu (or any other Linux). First post, although I have been reading many posts in this forum over the last few weeks to solve other problems. There is definitely much to learn but everyone is helpful and I thank you. My problem sounds like Katana's. I'm trying to install a D-Link DWA-131 USB wireless adapter and I got the "cannot find the autorun. program" message. Can you suggest a solution?
    \FYI. This is an older computer with a 20g HDD, single partition, with Ubuntu 10.10 installed.
    Thanks again
    Ted

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tedwils View Post
    Hi. I'm new here and new to Ubuntu (or any other Linux). First post, although I have been reading many posts in this forum over the last few weeks to solve other problems. There is definitely much to learn but everyone is helpful and I thank you. My problem sounds like Katana's. I'm trying to install a D-Link DWA-131 USB wireless adapter and I got the "cannot find the autorun. program" message. Can you suggest a solution?
    \FYI. This is an older computer with a 20g HDD, single partition, with Ubuntu 10.10 installed.
    Thanks again
    Ted
    I would recommend that you start your own thread rather than posting in a thread started by Katana24.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; January 23rd, 2011 at 12:39 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast