Thread: SELinux and Ubuntu....good Idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation SELinux and Ubuntu....good Idea?

I was thinking about installing SELinux on my ubuntu desktop for the pure purpose of study and evaluation. I know that SELinux comes standard with other distros but notice when I searched for it in the Synaptic Package Manager that Canonical does not support SELinux. What are the potential consequences to adding this to my Ubuntu system, if any? Is there something comparable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: SELinux and Ubuntu....good Idea?

From what I have read, support for SELinux on Ubuntu is not that great.

You would be better off trying Fedora. It even has a SELinux Troubleshooter application.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    From what I have read, support for SELinux on Ubuntu is not that great.

You would be better off trying Fedora. It even has a SELinux Troubleshooter application.
    Agreed. Fedora supports it much better than Ubuntu. In all these years, I don't think I've ever seen SELinux run on Ubuntu... but then again, it's possible.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SELinux

Beans

Well, you will sure learn a lot if you try it on Ubuntu, since the moment you enable it, nothing will work anymore...

There are various MAC systems: Tomoyo, SELinux and AppArmour are the best known, and they all address the problem in more or less the same way.

Beans

Apparmor is similar and supported by Canonical. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppArmor

SELinux is possible though I have never tried it myself. I usually (like now) recommend the above.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Well, you will sure learn a lot if you try it on Ubuntu, since the moment you enable it, nothing will work anymore...

There are various MAC systems: Tomoyo, SELinux and AppArmour are the best known, and they all address the problem in more or less the same way.
    Hmm...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    Apparmor is similar and supported by Canonical. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppArmor

SELinux is possible though I have never tried it myself. I usually (like now) recommend the above.
    Yes, Apparmor is awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you want to understand (and possibly implement) AppArmor, read the sticky by bodhi.zazen:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1008906

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Nickjpost View Post
    I was thinking about installing SELinux on my ubuntu desktop for the pure purpose of study and evaluation. I know that SELinux comes standard with other distros but notice when I searched for it in the Synaptic Package Manager that Canonical does not support SELinux. What are the potential consequences to adding this to my Ubuntu system, if any? Is there something comparable?
    It is possible to do selinux on ubuntu, but it is far easier to use Fedora if you want selinux.

Fedora has a number of tools, both graphical and command line, that are lacking in the Ubuntu repositories, the selinux policies are more refined, and you will get better support (for selinux) on the Fedora forums then here.

Some people use selinux here (/me wonders who), but far fewer then Fedora.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    It is possible to do selinux on ubuntu, but it is far easier to use Fedora if you want selinux.

Fedora has a number of tools, both graphical and command line, that are lacking in the Ubuntu repositories, the selinux policies are more refined, and you will get better support (for selinux) on the Fedora forums then here.

Some people use selinux here (/me wonders who), but far fewer then Fedora.
    Totally agree. Fedora has SELinux very, very integrated into it's system.