Thread: Absolute beginner tries again...

Beans

Absolute beginner tries again...

My last post seems to be both double-posted and empty, so, I'm really sorry but I don't know what happened, and here goes another try... Also, maybe this post should be in the security thread instead, but since I'm a newbie I thought I might get a more comprehensible (to me) answer here.

I am new to Linux and Ubuntu, and barely even moderately computer-savvy at best, so be kind... Last week I had my first-ever run-in with a malicious website. I clicked on an image using google image search, it redirected me to a fake security website, and then it immediately started downloading an .exe file (Sorry, I didn't think to get the url at the time). I wasn't able to force quit Firefox, and the file downloaded itself--rapidly--onto my computer, and that was that. As far as I can tell it didn't actually run. I haven't used the machine very much since it happened, but as far as I can tell nothing is different. I have since started using NoScript, which various support threads have suggested will stop it from happening again, but I am left with these questions.

I assume this file is somewhere on my computer now (Ubuntu 10.04). How can I find it and delete it?

If it's not possible to find and delete it, is it at all safe to assume that, since it probably only targets Windows, it's safe to continue using the machine as it is?

If it's not safe, are there any alternatives to reinstalling the OS?

Also, is there anything instead of/ in addition to the NoScript add-on that I should consider for internet security?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Absolute beginner tries again...

Can you elaborate a bit on the part of "and then it immediately started downloading an .exe file". What happened exactly?
    Just to reassure you, exes don't run on Ubuntu, so that you are in no danger.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome.

To find, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and paste this:

Code:
    locate .exe
    .exe files will not execute in Linux. Bug won't affect you (if it is one) but might be passed onto a Windows machine if you are swapping files or on a network.

Beans

Click on "Places" at the top of your screen, then on "Search for Files...", and insert ".exe" (without the quotes) as the file(s) that you want searched for. When you find the ".exe" file with the appropriate time-stamp, just delete it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

By default, Firefox downloads go to the Downloads folder in your home directory. It shouldn't be necessary to use the 'locate' or 'find' commands because, through permissions control, Firefox literally cannot put files anywhere except your home directory and /tmp.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    By default, Firefox downloads go to the Downloads folder in your home directory. It shouldn't be necessary to use the 'locate' or 'find' commands because, through permissions control, Firefox literally cannot put files anywhere except your home directory and /tmp.
    Still, locate would be useful in this situation. Also, there is no need to worry about a virus, so you don't have to go lock all your Windows (though recommended) right now, because Ubuntu can't execute .exes. Still though, it would be nice to remove.