Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't Mount Western Digital My passport external Hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Can't Mount Western Digital My passport external Hard drive

WD Passports need to be "Unlocked" via Windows or Mac b4 they can be used in any way shape or form.

I don't have the foggiest idea as to why WD would include such a useless function in their firmware and then put the needed unlocking software in a constantly available read-only partition but yea...

Take the device to a Mac or PC and run the "Unlock" application or the WD Smartware Utilities to enable access to the writable partition then format that so that you may use it properly. You can also try WINE on the unlocking .exe

If the drive is missing the apps, you can download the software kit for Mac and PC from WD's support pages.

Beans
    Distro

If you want to get it to work, you can Unmount it, and Format it in either a Masterboot or a GUID, but that is up to you, it will delete EVERYTHING including the software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TechWiz2100 View Post
    WD Passports need to be "Unlocked" via Windows or Mac b4 they can be used in any way shape or form.

I don't have the foggiest idea as to why WD would include such a useless function in their firmware and then put the needed unlocking software in a constantly available read-only partition but yea...

Take the device to a Mac or PC and run the "Unlock" application or the WD Smartware Utilities to enable access to the writable partition then format that so that you may use it properly. You can also try WINE on the unlocking .exe

If the drive is missing the apps, you can download the software kit for Mac and PC from WD's support pages.
    I think I'm just going to delete the password in the morning and see how that works.

And to the poster who said to use WINE, I tried but it didn't work. I may be doing it wrong, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with the WD software.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HyyDeff View Post
    I think I'm just going to delete the password in the morning and see how that works.

And to the poster who said to use WINE, I tried but it didn't work. I may be doing it wrong, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with the WD software.
    wow, i haven't heard anything about unlocking WD passports yet

anyhow, my experience is, that the passports come with a very short cable and cannot be connected to any longer ones then the ones, that are provided. also, mine has to be pluged into a USB port, that is directly on the motherboard

so not an inch/cm more cable, or it will not work!

PS. i plugged mine first into Ubuntu and it just worked, no unlocking needed...
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I didn't need to unlock mine either.

As I said before, I cut the WD stuff from the drive & pasted it to a folder elsewhere (just in case..........).

I then formatted the drive to ext4 & that was that. I've only done one backup so far & it went smoothly.

Keep us posted HyyDeff
    Last edited by verymadpip; January 21st, 2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: addition

Beans
    Hidden!

Don't know whether this would help, but back when I was using Jaunty, I did something then nothing would mount. The solution was to install pmount.
    I support SOPA and I dare say it.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
    Don't know whether this would help, but back when I was using Jaunty, I did something then nothing would mount. The solution was to install pmount.
    pmount is what handled auto mounting in jaunty. It has been replaced with udisks.

Beans

So there is no answer for accessing the NTFS formatted My Passport without being able to run the unlock.exe?
    I installed wine for ubuntu but it did not let me run any .exe files on the WD SmartWare CD.

Beans

:When I try running the unlock.exe through wine I get the error/;
    Unlock
    The application has encountered an unexpected error and is now exiting.

I've tried running it from the virtual CD and by copying that file to my computer, get same error either way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12