Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to compile and build ACE library?

Beans

How to compile and build ACE library?

I've downloaded the package from ftp://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/pr...c-6.0.0.tar.gz

If anyone knows the step by step procedure please help me in compiling and building ACE.

I've done export ACE_ROOT and exported LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the ACE_ROOT lib.

Created config.h file here: /ace/config.h
    What should be the content of this file?

In the build configuration file (/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU), I've done the following changes:
    include $(ACE_ROOT)/include/makeinclude/platform_linux.GNU
    ssl=1

After this, i couldnt find the default.features file in /bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features, as I saw somewhere that I've to modify this file.

Couldnt proceed further
    I'd be highly thankful if anyone could help me out.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by illegal; January 20th, 2011 at 12:42 PM.

Beans

Re: How to compile and build ACE library?

First things first, if you can use the repository version then try and use that! Otherwise, if you need to compile it... this worked for me, see how it goes if you're still having problems. It uses the gnu autotools method and not the ACE one so avoids setting environment variables and such. I haven't run the build through to completion and so haven't run the tests on it either so caveat emptor, its a big build :*)

$ tar -zvxf ACE-src-6.0.0.tar.gz
    $ cd ACE_wrappers/
    $ autoreconf -f
    $ automake --add-missing
    $ mkdir build
    $ cd build
    $ ../configure
    $ make
    Last edited by SevenMachines; January 21st, 2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Whoops, forgot to add the make

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMachines View Post
    First things first, if you can use the repository version then try and use that! Otherwise, if you need to compile it... this worked for me, see how it goes if you're still having problems. It uses the gnu autotools method and not the ACE one so avoids setting environment variables and such. I haven't run the build through to completion and so haven't run the tests on it either so caveat emptor, its a big build :*)

$ tar -zvxf ACE-src-6.0.0.tar.gz
    $ cd ACE_wrappers/
    $ autoreconf -f
    $ automake --add-missing
    $ mkdir build
    $ cd build
    $ ../configure
    $ make
    Thanks a lot.
    autoreconf -f gave me the following error:

configure.ac:240: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
    If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
    See the Autoconf documentation.
    configure.ac:366: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DISABLE_STATIC
    configure.ac:369: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
    configure.ac:372: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
    autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
    Last edited by illegal; January 24th, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Beans

Also, found some steps for running ACE library from somewhere else.

$ tar xjvf ACE-5.6.9.tar.bz2
    $ cd ACE_wrappers
    $ mkdir build
    $ cd build
    $ ../configure --prefix=/usr/local
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    Here, while doing a make, I'm getting a huge list of errors. Copying it below.
    /home/MyUser/S6a/ACE_wrappers/build/examples/IPC_SAP/SSL_SAP/../../../../ace/SSL/SSL_SOCK_Stream.inl:285: undefined reference to `SSL_shutdown'
    /home/MyUser/S6a/ACE_wrappers/build/examples/IPC_SAP/SSL_SAP/../../../../ace/SSL/SSL_SOCK_Stream.inl:287: undefined reference to `SSL_get_error'
    /home/MyUser/S6a/ACE_wrappers/build/examples/IPC_SAP/SSL_SAP/../../../../ace/SSL/SSL_SOCK_Stream.inl:296: undefined reference to `SSL_clear'
    client-SSL-client.o: In function `ACE_SSL_SOCK_Stream::recv_i(void*, unsigned int, int, ACE_Time_Value const*) const':
    /home/MyUser/S6a/ACE_wrappers/build/examples/IPC_SAP/SSL_SAP/../../../../ace/SSL/SSL_SOCK_Stream.inl:148: undefined reference to `SSL_read'
    /home/MyUser/S6a/ACE_wrappers/build/examples/IPC_SAP/SSL_SAP/../../../../ace/SSL/SSL_SOCK_Stream.inl:151: undefined reference to `SSL_get_error'
    client-SSL-client.o: In function `ACE_SSL_SOCK_Stream::close()':
    /home/MyUser/S6a/ACE_wrappers/build/examples/IPC_SAP/SSL_SAP/../../../../ace/SSL/SSL_SOCK_Stream.inl:285: undefined reference to `SSL_shutdown'
    /home/MyUser/S6a/ACE_wrappers/build/examples/IPC_SAP/SSL_SAP/../../../../ace/SSL/SSL_SOCK_Stream.inl:287: undefined reference to `SSL_get_error'
    client-SSL-client.o: In function `ACE_SSL_SOCK_Stream::recv(void*, unsigned int) const':
    /home/MyUser/S6a/ACE_wrappers/build/examples/IPC_SAP/SSL_SAP/../../../../ace/SSL/SSL_SOCK_Stream.inl:172: undefined reference to `SSL_shutdown'
    client-SSL-client.o: In function `ACE_SSL_SOCK_Stream::close()':
    /home/MyUser/S6a/ACE_wrappers/build/examples/IPC_SAP/SSL_SAP/../../../../ace/SSL/SSL_SOCK_Stream.inl:296: undefined reference to `SSL_clear'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_connect'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_set_bio'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `BIO_free'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_set_client_CA_list'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `BIO_ctrl'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_add_dir_cert_subjects_to_stack'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `CRYPTO_set_locking_callback'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_set_verify'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `RAND_load_file'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_load_error_strings'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_peek'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_state'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `BIO_clear_flags'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_check_private_key'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `BIO_new'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_free'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `ERR_clear_error'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `RAND_egd'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `ERR_free_strings'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_set_connect_state'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `RAND_seed'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_new'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_set_accept_state'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `BIO_set_flags'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_set_fd'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `EVP_cleanup'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_pending'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_want'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_add_file_cert_subjects_to_stack'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_load_client_CA_file'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `CRYPTO_num_locks'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_load_verify_locations'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `ERR_get_error'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_set_verify_depth'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `PEM_read_bio_DHparams'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_library_init'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_use_certificate_file'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `CRYPTO_set_id_callback'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_new'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_use_certificate'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_write'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_get_client_CA_list'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `sk_new_null'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_accept'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `ERR_error_string_n'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `BIO_new_file'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `RAND_status'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_ctrl'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `DH_free'
    ../../../ace/SSL/.libs/libACE_SSL.so: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_free'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [client] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/MyUser/S6a/ACE_wrappers/build/examples/IPC_SAP/SSL_SAP'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/MyUser/S6a/ACE_wrappers/build/examples/IPC_SAP'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    Is this the problem with LD_LIBRARY_PATH? I couldnt make out which library path I should give. Or the problem is with something else?

Any help?
    Last edited by illegal; January 24th, 2011 at 01:45 PM.

Beans

you're missing libtool i imagine
    $ sudo apt-get install libtool

Beans

you're missing libtool i imagine
    $ sudo apt-get install libtool
    Will an offline installation of libtool be ok? I'm downloading it from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-1.0.tar.gz

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by illegal View Post
    Also, found some steps for running ACE library from somewhere else

Here, while doing a make, I'm getting a huge list of errors. Copying it below.

Is this the problem with LD_LIBRARY_PATH? I couldnt make out which library path I should give. Or the problem is with something else?

Any help?
    I'd stick with 6.0 version, it's newer, i've got that and can follow any problems easier :*) By the looks of it the errors come from missing linkage to openssl although i'd rather not dig into it unless the 6.0 version has the same problem.

Beans

You'd need to look up offline installation of packages and their dependencies ( i think theres a thread in this forum on it that i may have answered before! )

Installing libtool from source is not the same, and certainly more difficult than, installing the pre-build repository packages

For instance, on natty, i would just do
    $ sudo apt-get install libace-dev

and i would be done :*) I'm assuming you have a specific need to compile from source otherwise you're giving yourself an awful lot of extra work?

Beans

Beans

You'd need to look up offline installation of packages and their dependencies ( i think theres a thread in this forum on it that i may have answered before! )

Installing libtool from source is not the same, and certainly more difficult than, installing the pre-build repository packages

For instance, on natty, i would just do
    $ sudo apt-get install libace-dev

and i would be done :*) I'm assuming you have a specific need to compile from source otherwise you're giving yourself an awful lot of extra work?
    The issue is that, the linux machine on which I'm building ACE library is not connected to internet and is not having any provision to get connected
    Already got libtools 1.0, did a ./configure and make on the same.

PS: I couldnt get any direct link to download ACE library 6.0 which you'd mentioned in your previous post.
    Last edited by illegal; January 24th, 2011 at 01:12 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast