Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disable user ability to shut down (10.10)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Disable user ability to shut down (10.10)

Hey guys, just wondering, is there any way to disable a users ability to shutdown a system? I'm setting up a few systems for a teaching lab and we want to disable this feature. I've seen some older (4+ years) tutorials but nothing that would apply to 10.10.
    Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: Disable user ability to shut down (10.10)

Fundamentally, ordinary users don't have the ability to shutdown the system. The trick is to enable it! I'm sorry that I don't know for sure the application used for this in 10.10 but you can see easily enough from your menu. Remove it or change the execute permissions. That will stop 90% of shutdown attempts.

Then of course you have to make sure that the users don't have any sudo ability. That will stop almost all the rest.

Now ... have you disabled ACPI response to the power button

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by FMDragon View Post
    Hey guys, just wondering, is there any way to disable a users ability to shutdown a system? I'm setting up a few systems for a teaching lab and we want to disable this feature. I've seen some older (4+ years) tutorials but nothing that would apply to 10.10.
    Thanks in advance!
    You could right-click on the shutdown button and then "remove from panel". The students might not know they can right-click the panel and then "add to panel..." and put it back on. In any case, if they really wanted to shut it down they could use the power switch.
    Give me a stable operating system, and I will make it unstable

Beans
    Distro

Thanks in advance!
    You could right-click on the shutdown button and then "remove from panel". The students might not know they can right-click the panel and then "add to panel..." and put it back on. In any case, if they really wanted to shut it down they could use the power switch.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro

Ah, remove the panel! Never really thought about that. Funny how you try to over complicate an issue and the solution is actually really easy.

The only other issue that I would have would be the 'Shut Down' option in the System menu. Is there anyway to remove that as well? I've tried right click, then edit menus, but that only gives me the ability to remove/edit Preferences, Administration, and Control Center. Doesn't seem to be anything about the rest of the options.

Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

Ah, remove the panel! Never really thought about that. Funny how you try to over complicate an issue and the solution is actually really easy.

The only other issue that I would have would be the 'Shut Down' option in the System menu. Is there anyway to remove that as well? I've tried right click, then edit menus, but that only gives me the ability to remove/edit Preferences, Administration, and Control Center. Doesn't seem to be anything about the rest of the options.

Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

Suggestions?
    I don't seem to have this feature. No box in front of it that you can uncheck? Can you select it and press the Delete button? -- or the Properties button and change the command line to something like 'gedit file.txt' where file.txt = "you're not authorized to do this" lol?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast