Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two New 15" Laptops with Sandy Bridge Architecture!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Two New 15" Laptops with Sandy Bridge Architecture!

The fan will always be running, as if they stop, the CPU heats up very quickly and it comes on. However, they are extremely quiet, and unnoticeable.

Don't worry about the double posting. There are some issue with the forums right now, and Canonical is looking to upgrade their hardware.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

That Serval looks sweet! Someday when my current laptop is ready for retirement...

Beans

These look cool. Some questions:

1) Following up on the fan question how cool to these laptops stay? i.e. Could they be used on you lap?
    2) What are the ambient temps in which they can be used?
    3) What functions are provided by the System76 driver (i.e. could they be used with another distro such as Fedora without significant loss of functionality?)

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's my answers:

1) Following up on the fan question how cool to these laptops stay? i.e. Could they be used on you lap?
    We don't have a specific measurement, but they are quite cool on the bottom, and can be used on your lap easily.

2) What are the ambient temps in which they can be used?
    Once again, we don't have specifics, but as long as the processors stay cool enough, you should be fine. I'd say try to keep the ambient temperature between 55 and 110 degrees F.

3) What functions are provided by the System76 driver (i.e. could they be used with another distro such as Fedora without significant loss of functionality?)
    Currently, we're fixing Hibernate and suspend. Fedora may have better or worse support, but I can tell you what exactly we're doing, incase it's useful to fedora as well.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Here's my answers:

We don't have a specific measurement, but they are quite cool on the bottom, and can be used on your lap easily.

Once again, we don't have specifics, but as long as the processors stay cool enough, you should be fine. I'd say try to keep the ambient temperature between 55 and 110 degrees F.

Currently, we're fixing Hibernate and suspend. Fedora may have better or worse support, but I can tell you what exactly we're doing, incase it's useful to fedora as well.
    Thanks for the info I believe the knowledge76 page also mentions the fingerprint scanner? Right now I am stuck on Fedora due to a multiarch requirement. I mainly want to confirm if System76 laptops will work reasonably well with other distros in case Natty multiarch support is not good.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

mbidewel, I can't comment on the two laptops specifically, but I have three system 76 laptops. A first generation Starling, a first and third generation Darter. I have Debian running on both Darters (a distro, not known for its support of cutting edge hardware,) and everything I need works fine. The only thing keeping Ubuntu on my Starling is a wireless card that requires a System 76 driver to get decent performance. I feel that System 76 sells hardware that is very Linux friendly and you will probably have no problem getting Fedora to run on it. I would recommend that if you are offered a choice of wireless cards, go for the Intel ones rather than any generic card offered. Intel cards have better Linux support.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looking good!

quick question: Windows 7 drivers/support?

yes,yes, I know... But I need a laptop for CAD work as well, so I was thinking of getting a gazelle professional, I can't really find other laptops with specs as good for the price.

Also, if I live in Canada, do I just pay in USD and get it shipped, or can I pay in Canadian dollars?

Thanks in advance,
    Erik
    if it ain't broken, you haven't f***** with it enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We will have Windows drivers available, but we have to get those finished first.

For Canadian customers, we will charge you in USD, but your bank should automatically convert it for you. It should be pretty close to 1:1 anyway right now; in fact, last I checked, it was .99 CAD to 1 USD.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Battery life on the Serval is approx: 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Gazelle is not tested yet, but probably slightly more.

Not aware of any plans for a 12-14".
    Do you have estimates for battery life by now?
    I am thinking of getting a laptop but I would need a bit more battery life than what the Pangolin seems to have.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I will be purchasing a Gazelle Professional this week. Are these shipping out within the same time line as the rest of your products? (i.e. 8 days or so)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast