Thread: Natty Alpha 1 console text corruption

Beans

Question Natty Alpha 1 console text corruption

Hello all you wonderful ubuntu-loving people

I am just after a little bit of help with fixing a text corruption issue / advice for filing a bug report (if necessary).

So, generally speaking the stability I am experiencing with Natty is as I expect; I'm fully aware that this is a very very early development release and so all sorts of things can go wrong. So let's not be mean to me about that... I totally get the risks involved etc. etc. I just wanted to point that out

So while Gnome/Unity are up and running, graphics run more or less perfectly, the boot process text is completely garbled and if after everything is fully loaded I hit Control+Alt+F1-F6 the text looks like:
    * this
    * the above image close-up
    The above links are supposed to be of the ubuntu login prompt.

The problem occurred after running the upgrade command:
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    As is standard upgrade procedure.

Is there anything obvious going on that I can tweak to make it all happy again?

Since I have a working GUI, it's not super important for me to fix it in a rush... so if it's a matter of simply waiting for updated packages, then so be it. But any advice on the matter would be fantastic!

Cheers,
    Jason

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Natty Alpha 1 console text corruption

Until Natty is released, there is a separate forum for it http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=394

I have never seen such a display with apparently wrong or corrupted fonts. The only problem I have with text consoles (tty) is that the login prompt (often, but not always) ends up in lower right of screen 3.5 lines from bottom, so I cannot see what I am typing. I am using GT 430 with nvidia 260.19.29 drivers (no tty problem with same nvidia drivers in Maverick).

What graphic card and drivers are you using?
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

Re: Natty Alpha 1 console text corruption

Thanks for letting me know about the correct forum. I have reposted there and will use that thread instead. If you still want to follow it, this is the link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10373303

To answer your question, my graphics card as reported by lspci is 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G71 [GeForce 7300 GS] (rev a1).

I still have no idea what its problem is! Ohhh well...